Do you pay for their prom expences?

Just wondering, we are on a tight budget and he used his savings for tickets. He has a great black suit that fits that we bought last year for another dance. No he wants us to rent him a tux. UGH does it never end? Do you pay for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Depends:

I would, but that is me, they only have one prom, and it should be special. IF he works and he spends his money inappropriate then I would make him pay.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes! Prom is a right of passage. Be lucky he's not a girl, you'd be buying a $200 dress!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 10:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes, you pay for it. But there is no reason why he can't pay you back over the summer for part of it. Be frugal if you can but pay for it, some places rent out a tux for 80 bucks, call relatives for shoes and shirts if you can. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Nope. If my kids wanted to go to the Prom, they bought their own stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If it were me then Yes I would be paying for it, but then again I plan on starting a savings accout for Senior year because there are so many expenses. I would rather my kids save their money for all the extra expenses the following year at college, but thats just me.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My parents did not pay for any of our dances, including prom. And when my son gets to that age I doubt I will pay for it too. My parents decided if we wanted to do it then we paid for it. My date for prom actually took me and my best friend (he asked me first but my friend didnt have a date so we took her along with us) and he paid for all of it not his parents.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• So he has tickets and a suit, but he wants a tux. What about transportation. Is dinner included in the tickets. Any over night activites. Flowers for the girl? This can get very expensive, I think you need a budget for the entire event not an open checkbook for every little thing. Sit him down and talk about what you are willing to contibute and what the total will come to. That tux might not be so important when he looks at the enitre bill.
    Anonymous

• I started babysitting at the age of 12 because mom said if I wanted those expensive jeans i would have to pay for them I then got a real job at the age of 15. I have worked ever since. I kept 3.5 grades in school. I am so glad that my parents did not hand me everything because it taught me responsibility. I am great with money and know how to save for the things i want. I will ask that my child at the age of 16 get a part time job to pay for dances, car, gas ins...... I think it is a good thing.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• As a teen, I had to pay for everything.. My tickets, my dress, his tux, the car, everything! Let me just say this though... For as much as I think teens should pay for their own extras, my kids will NEVER have to pay for things like Prom or Graduation like I did!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• When I was in high school, my boyfriend and I paid for everything; we plan to do the same with our daughter.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2010