Why do people refuse to get lawyers?

I am always reading about custody issues on here and people are like 'what do I do?!" Isn't the answer obvious: Get a lawyer! My family has been through all kinds of shit with my sister involving the law and they always refuse to get lawyers even when they're free! What the hell is wrong with people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think there has been such a stigma put on silly lawsuits nad people having laywers and what not. People just don't know what to do anymore. So many people go to court over stupid little stuff, and that's all you hear about. Then when something big does happen no one wants to drag it to court because they don't want the stigma of having to deal with it.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Bc not all free lawyers cover what you may be looking for and lawyers cost.
    It cost us well over 10,000 just to keep custody of my grandson and we are still
    paying it...
    Not everyone has that kind of money to dump onto a lawyer when in fact you can go
    online and find what you need within your local area and print off that paper work and file
    or submit it to the court house 10x less than what a lawyer will charge you...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes, gmasboy, and there's a reason lawyers get paid lots of money! It's because they win cases. I have a friend who is a lawyer and says that judges are hard on people without lawyers. He says that when he's gone up against someone without a lawyer it's 'never worked out well for them.' If I were in a custody battle, I sure as hell would find a way to get a freakin' lawyer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It can be impossible to get "free" lawyers. Most women don't know that if they are SAHMs that their SO will have to pay their leagl fees. Women are scared and want to get an idea about what will happen.

I had a friend that told me things to ask for in my divorce and visitation orders that turned out to be great. My lawyer didn't make those suggestions. She wasn't a nursing mother. It's ok to ask for info but of course you need a lawyer.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I've never been in a situation where I needed a lawyer, but I agree that they are very costly; it's hard to know who is "good" unless you are lucky and have a lawyer-friend; and there is a stigma about some types of lawyers (such as injury/workers' comp) which makes some people (like my DH) shy away from suing and getting lawyers involved. But yes, if I did have custody issues, I would certainly find the money for a good lawyer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

And NO not all lawyers win cases and NO not all Judges are hard on those whom do not have them... I have had to deal with the courts with my dh and his ex, and other custody issues... there are Judges that tear apart lawyers for leading their clients on etc...
    The lawyer I had for our custody came highly recommended and screwed our entire case up it was my and my dh doing the internet law research to find out how to win OUR OWN CASE... and guess what, we still paid out all that money...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I dunno, I keep a lawyer on retainer each time we move to a new town. Befriending a lawyer is never a bad idea, you never know when you'll need one and a bad lawyer is just as bad as a bad doctor. People always talk bad about lawyers until they need one, just like doctors, they hate doctors until they need one of them too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I am in no way saying that all attorneys are like this, but if you can do it on your own, then do it on your own... it will save you money, time and a lot of headaches...
    There are also places out there that do give free legal advice, but most attorneys don't let ppl know this, you have to do a lot of searching thru legal aid and the courts to find them, the only problem with these they do not attend any court appearances.

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Why don't people get lawyers? Because they're EXPENSIVE!!! My Uncle has been a lawyer for 20+ yrs and he charges around $450/hr. Legal Aid is an option, but you have to financially qualify.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Went thru a custody battle for our grandchildren almost 3 years ago without a lawyer. Had to pay the courts to file the papers but did not see any reason to pay a lawyer for what i could do myself which was document and present the facts to the judge. DH & i were awarded full permanent custody of the grandkids.
    oosgrandma

Answer by oosgrandma at 12:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010