Pictures in a Catholic Church --- not anti Catholics, haters or bashers please

My daughter is making her First Communion this week. The priest asked that we hold off taking pictures as the Arch Bishop does not like to have his picture taken in front of the alter

Anyone ever heard of this? if so what would be the reason

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would think it would be a distraction to the ceremony.

Answer by older at 11:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's called and altar and taking photos in a church is very bad form.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 11:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes. Pictures are not to be taken during the service. This is a very religious ceremony. Extremely Holy in fact. Many forget this and want the cute factor. Save the picture taking for after.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• He will see white spots or stars after the flash, and could stumble down the steps. That's my guess.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Why don't you just ask for the reason? Its your dd's ceremony and you deserve to know why you can't take pictures. You don't have to be disrespectful but never cower do anyone when it comes to your child

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• **cower to**
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's not just her Daughters ceremony it's other childrens also. Some of us take this very seriously. It's about the Child being able to take Christ into them physically for the first time. It's a very solemn ceremony, very serious. People clamoring to take a picture of their Child as they receive can cause disruption. So like I said save the pictures for after.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Um...maybe the guy just doesn't like having his picture taken? Maybe he finds it incredibly rude to be clamoring over the sacristy with your camera?

My dad used to be a semi-pro videogropher (did weddings and such) and would often hire my brothers and I to help out. There were a couple Catholic Churches in our town who hired us each year to video First Communions and Confirmations. The idea was that this would allow the parents and family to stay put in their seats, and not be all up and about trying to do it themselves. They could sit and enjoy the ceremony AND not be an annoyance to others there sitting and enjoying the ceremony.

It's not your god-given right to take pictures/video of your kid(s) wherever, whenever. You must consider those around you.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• They usually allow for some time after Mass for you to take pictures with the Priest if you'd like, you can always ask ahead of time if they can do that for you just to be sure as well.
    Anonymous

• They ask the same during most ceremonies. Its a serious sacrament and they don't want so many people flashing pictures during it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010