So frustrated!! what should I do?

Ok, my 7 week old has severe reflux diagnosed by barium x-rays. The dr wants him to have only 2oz of breastmilk at a time(I am pumping for him and we are thickening it) anyways feeding him only 2oz make him soo mad, you can tell he is still hungry. last week we wanted to see what would happen if we just fed him till he was happy, we would give him 4oz every 3 hours and he did great with it. I think he is going through a growing spurt cause all he wants to do is eat and sleep. what uld you do?? stay at 2 oz and have your baby be hungry or give him the 4oz and MAYBE have reflux issues?? please help wiht ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• When a baby has reflux it can aspartate into his lungs and cause permanent damage or even choke to death. The doctors are giving you advice for a reason, not just to make you uncomfortable.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would feed him what he wants. Keep him upright after you feed him. Do whatever you have to to keep him happy. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would breastfeed, not give the baby bottles. Bottle feeding even human milk can cause reflux. The way a baby nurses at the breast reduces refux. The way the milk changes in fat concentration as a baby feeds helps the baby feel full and take less at a feeding. I would use one breast a feeding.

I would never add cereal to a bottle. I agree that it is dangerous. It is also horrible for the digestive system and it will take weeks for your baby to recover. I would change doctors from any doctor that recommended feeding my breastfed baby a bottle and putting rice cereal in it. That doctor obviously doesn't have good advice.

I would do research and do other things that help with reflux like how to position the baby, massage, things that couldn't hurt the baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• OP HERE, we are not using cereal, we are using Simply Thick. He had never had a bottle until after he was diagnosed with reflux and the only reason we were concerned enough to take him to dr was because when he was nursing, it seemed like he would quit breathing. The dr said he was doing this because he was trying to swallow at the same time stuff was trying to come up and he didn't know what to do. I have breast fed a few times and he does ok if I prop him up so he is almost sitting but then I have now way to measure what he gets. SO CONFESSED
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I forgot to add that it is very hard to maintain an adequate milk supply by pumping and pumping is sooo difficult. It is so easy to breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If nursing while keeping him propped up works, I would do that. You don't need to measure what he gets, feed him until he is content.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Can you give him the 2 ounces wait like a half an hour or 45 minutes and feed him another 2 ounces? Might be a lot of work but might be worth the try.
    Reflux issues are no fun to deal with, poor baby. :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• OP I could could give him 2oz then give him more later but I really want to breast feed and not have to pump at all. I just wanna do whats best for him but 2oz is totally not doing it! the reason we ended up going to 4 every 3 hours is because he was down to MAYBE 5 kinda wet diapers a day. The nurse I talked saw how upset he was after 2oz and she said that she would up it but just not say anything to the dr. Just don't wanna hurt my baby by doing something behind the drs back BUT what else is there to do
    Anonymous

• Do what your baby wants. He wants to eat then breastfeed him. I would change my Dr. too.
    Anonymous