Who thinks that breastfeeding is better and why? And if you think its a bad thing why?

I am pregnant with my second child and was wanting info on breastfeeding. I didnt do it with my daughter, but I really know any better I just did whatever everyone else was telling me because I was young and didnt know. Now Im thinking about it and want to know others opinions and advice on the subject.

KSperry86

Asked by KSperry86 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• popcorn

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It doesn't matter what anybody THINKS. Breast feeding IS better. Facts are facts. But the question is will it be easy for you or will you struggle with something? And if you do have a hard time, will you get the help you need?  There are several groups on here. There is Le Leche League and local lactation consultants. If you want to do it, go for it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Nice one anon....waiting for the drama to unfold.:) I am here to encourage you. Breastfeeding is best-builds up their immune system, better bond, the list can go on. I do understand that for some women, things can prevent them from breastfeeding, while others choose not to. I just want to encourage you to try, at least for the first 6 mos. GL
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 11:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that's breastfeeding is better for the baby. Formula feeding is just more convenient for the mom.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• breastfeeding was the hardest part of motherhood for me, we had lots of problems beginning at day one. I ended up having to pump exclusively for 8 months. it just depends on how bad you want it, and how much work you think its worth.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• NO ONE will tell you that it is bad.
    It is better for baby because it has the exact makeup of what baby needs. It is good for mother because it can help you lose baby weight and in some cases can help with bonding.

For me... it was a choice we made because #1 it is good for baby & #2 it is VERY inexpensive. We purchased a few bottles & a breast pump, but that is all we needed.

But for some people, there are issues that prevent them from breastfeeding, may they be physical or psychological. Some who do it do NOT bond with their child. It did NOT help me bond at all. Some it can increase PPD, especially if you have no support.

It is your decision 100% how you chose to feed your baby. I am pregnant again and will BF again. It worked well for our son and don't see any reason it won't work for this one. I am one of those BF mama's who do NOT judge those who chose not to. It is YOUR decision.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No formula out there is as beneficial as breastfeeding. It is scientifically proven to be the best nutrition for your baby...granted you aren't doing drugs or anything like that. Not only is it beneficial for your child, it is also beneficial for YOU! If you exlusively breastfeed your child for at least 3 months, your risk of breast and other cancers is significantly reduced. It helps shrink your uterus faster, burns calories which can help you lose weight quicker, it is FREE, and for some women, it keeps them from getting a period for a long time! I just got my first period 8 months after giving birth! You can still get pregnant if you are BF though, just and FYI. All your antibodies to illnesses are passed through your breastmilk to your baby, which is turn, can help your baby fight off infections and may not even get sick because he/she will already have the antibodies for it that YOU gave him! Cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Like Ruttermame said, breastmilk has everything your baby needs. Even mothers that have premature babies, have breastmilk with extra special components to help their premature baby along.
    Its not a piece of cake to BF, I will tell you that. That first week is hard...but you can get through that, you will be fine. Your milk doesn't actually come in until 1-4 days after giving birth. Until then, your baby will be getting colostrum, which is a thicker milky type substance, very rich in nurtients and antibodies. You have to remember that baby won't be born just knowing how to breastfeed right away, so you have to keep trying. Its a learning experience for the both of you! There are lactation consultants at the hospital that can help you and Le Leche League can also help.
    I think you should at least give it a try. There is a chance you physcially won't be able to meet the needs cont...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• of your baby. Sometimes that happens. You shouldn't feel guilty or upset if you just can't do it. But I do hope you can find a strong support system and at least give it a shot, and hopefully you will be successful! If you have any other questions you can PM me and I'll try to help you as best as I can. Good luck and congrats!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Congratulation christina! I have a 4mth baby and I m still breastfeeding. U have to know that breast milk is very important for babies up to 6 months because it contains all elements needed it s a complete nutrition for the babies in their first months. I was reading abt breastfeeding all the time even i knew its the perfect choice for my baby and for me. I was yesterday in my doctor s office and we were talking abt that, she 100% share my opinion. Other that healthy side that it has, it also a very precious moment of bonding with ur baby, I looooooooooooove it. when i just delivered I was fighting with different opinions ( my husband and his mother) they wanted me to bottle feed him because he was crying and they thought that he s not getting enough but dont worry this is very normal, breast milk is very light that formula that s why the baby wants to feed every 1 to 3 hours it depends on the quantity he gets each feeding.
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2010