When do you stop giving to your kids?

When should they get a job and start paying some of their own expenses. I am doing a research paper on what people think and how they plan to handle expenses as they child gets older.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well when I was 16 and was driving, I had to get a job to pay for insurance and gas. 16 is a good age to start working
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I will never stop giving to my kids, they all have jobs make their own money do not ask for a thing, but I will always help with money and anything else that is needed until the day I die!

Answer by older at 12:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i want to be like my parents were with me.. as long as i was in school everything was paid for but the minute i got out of school and didn't go to college they made me work to pay for my things.. i want my kids to pay attention to education instead of busting their butt to pay for things but i will be strict on the toys and clothes that get bought.. but the main things will be paid for and i will probably give them a prepay card for shopping or whatever so they understand money management
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm 29 and my parents still help out, even though we don't need it as much as we used to. We never ask them for anything but they enjoy helping us out!
    Anonymous

• Handing over financial responsibility is a process. I think it should start when kids are young; they can do extra chores or help neighbors to earn extra money to buy some of the things they want. When they get to highschool and want a cell phone, car, fancy clothes or shoes, etc. they should be working to help pay for those things. We have told our oldest child that she will be working while she goes to college; we will help, but we aren't going to cover all her expenses. If she chooses not to go to college we won't be helping with any expenses.
    Anonymous

• Well my parents didn't MAKE me get a job when I turned 16, but I chose to on my own so that I could buy things that I wanted. I think it made me a more responsible person and is a big part of the reason that I am so good with our finances today.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Never :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I stopped when her college grades fell and she moved off campus and into an apartment with a boyfriend. Her choice. No she never graduated. Yes, they are still together. They are grown-ups now and know to only ask me for advice, but never ask me for money. I am not the bank of mom. Had she graduated and moved home I would have supported her until she found a job and moved out.
    Anonymous

• When my child is 16 then allowence will end and they will be asked to get a job.
    It may sound harsh to some people, but to me it is better for them to learn how to handle money and the value of a dollar early.
    At sixteen they are legally allowed to work, so that is why I have chosen that age. Once they have a job they will take on all responsibilies. This includes field trips, school clothes, cell phones, car insruance, everything. This will teach them how to balance their money, spend it wisely, and what is important to purchase and what isn't.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i will financially support my child until they are done with college and have there career and can support themselves. ill still even help them then if they need it.
    the only reason i will tell them to get a job around 16-18, is just too teach responsibilty. they wont be paying bills or anything though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2010