Im a stay at home mom, so when my 4yr old showed interest in reading I jumped it. A couple of mnths later and she's reading Dr. Suess and other simple books by her self. I'd like to get some educational dvds or flash cards or something to help with her remember the phonics. Any ideas on what to get?

BellTwinsMom

Asked by BellTwinsMom at 12:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WTG mommy! One idea is using the www.starfall.com web site for practice, check it out, it's really pretty cool.
    Anonymous

• Look over at ebay for BOB books. They are good phonic books. I suggest ebay because they are expensive and they go through them pretty fast. There are 4 levels I think so start with level with one which has things like, "Bob sat up."
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 12:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I hear Leap Frog is great. I've never used it personally and I don't know that I will, but from what I've heard it's great. You can get them at Babies 'R' Us, Walmart, Meijer, etc. There is also a computer game called "Reader Rabbit" that might have a lesson in what you're looking for. I played that when I was younger and I liked it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Starfall.com is a free website that helps. Get the series Hooked on Phonics and see where it takes her, it's a great reading program and comes with all sorts of flash cards and books. You can probably find it on ebay for less money. Hey Good Luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:00 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• good for you mommy. I would not spend too much money on elaborate systems, go to discount stores and let her pick early reader activity books - just one at a time, they have variety and aren't too formal . You want to keep it as a fun activity along side baking and playing in the sandpit, otherwise she will be over it all by the time she goes to school( I always think of the little girl in parenthood where the dad has her reading flashcards all day :-) We play lots of I spy, a simple card pack from an educational toy shop with the letters on it works. Play letter bingo -keep it very simple and very fun. Borrow as much as possible from the town library, if she is picking it up this quickly, you will find you've spent $100 on special books and systems that she is bored with in a few weeks
    Yay you!!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Personally, I'd skip flash cards and 'systems.' There are plenty of free resources and inexpensive FUN resources to achieve the same goals. The most important, thing, however, is to simply read with her. Help her sound out new words, encourage her to try to figure out each new one before you step in with the answer. Don't forget that reading is more than just books - ask her to help you read signs, package labels, etc. Take her food shopping and give her her own list to be responsible for. Play I Spy with her and use letter sounds as clues: "I spy something that starts with the letter B. Buh, Buh, Buh, B." Make your own game of BINGO using sight words. Try www.starfall.com, www.PBSKids.org, www.Scholastic.com, etc. Try reading the books in the "You read to me. I read to you" series. I had two early readers (ages 2 1/2 and 3 respectively) and we did nothing more than read, read, read and the types of games I shared here.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:57 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• ldmrmom -- Exactly. I have early readers myself. My three-year-old is even up to early chapter books now. We do everything that you suggested. the only thing I would add is go to the library every week. The variety alone is enough to encourage them to keep those pages turning.
    Anonymous

• The Starfall website is my child's favourite and it's free. Later on, I did get a series of phonics books based on the MagicSchoolBus series from scholastic, but they are not very challenging for her now that she's spent so much time on the Starfall site. I was concerned about her learning everything as sight words as I feel phonics is the basis for good spelling habits. I found nothing else that was suitable to teach her phonics in a systematic way that was accessible to her when she was younger until we came across Starfall. We also make sure reading material is available and that it has a bit of challenge and a bit of age appropriate content for her and that she gets to select her own book choice occasionally whether or not its too easy for her, just as long as it appeals to her. Beyond this, we stay out of her way and let her read. Don't you just love that little natural reader of yours, eh? Such an awesome gift.
    northernprairie

Answer by northernprairie at 2:40 AM on May. 21, 2010