Is there a legal limit to the number of days in a row you can work?

My boss constantly has me working 11, 12, 13 days in a row, and it's getting frustrating! I've brought it up to her and it's always "Oh, I hate doing that to you, but with everyone's availability and requests off it's the only way." LAME. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

StellarJKD

Asked by StellarJKD at 12:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/index.htm

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I think it depends on the type of job it is and how many hours you are working.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Put in a request for a certain days off. Everybody else is!
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state laws. Go to your local state's government website and search for employment laws and rights.
    You ARE being taken advantage of. Everyone else gets open availability and time off, but you have to get the brunt of the work? That's not fair to you to be working 13 days in a row when everyone else gets time off and a normal schedule. I honestly think you should take this up with her manager/suprivisor. She clearly is 1. Playing favorites or 2. not very good at spreading out the work load to allow everyone a fair amount of work. It should never be put all onto one person. It can't be that everyone else has the same exact needs to get time off and has the same exact availability. There has to be a few in the office who can take on more days. Your boss seems to be taking great adavantage of you and you should put your foot down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I am guessing you are one of those people who said you have "open" availability, right? I know working retail, if you don't specify the days off you need, you get what's needed. Alot of times, people wind up working 2 weeks straight without a day off, unfortunately. You are going to have to be firm and tell them exactly what you want off.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Contact your state's department of labor.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010