What do you think of Mothers who smoke?

I quit smoking after 10 yrs, when I decided i was going to try to get pregnant. It probably took 7 months to actually accomplish. I knew it would be hard, but i thought I would be contributing to the chance that my child would be unhealthy, and that was way more important than a cigarette break.

I have known a few women who have smoked throughout their pregnancy, and I just can't figure out why. I even know a woman who smokes around her asthmatic son.

I see it all the time, women pushing a stroller with one hand and holding a cigarette in the other. Or driving down the street with their window cracked and their kids in the backseat.

I mean say you quit while you were pregnant and have never smoked around your child, but it still shortens your life span. Don't you owe it to your kids to at least try to be alive? Or to set a good example?

Don't you hate it when you pick up a toddler that smells like a wet ashtray?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I smoked for 12 years, and quit about 8 months ago. Still occasionally have one...

My pet peeves are the same, and I consider smoking in the presence of a child to be abuse- you have a filter, they do not. what I choose to do with my body should not directly affect those around me, and likewise I expect the same from others. The first time someone asks if they can smoke in my home or ties to light up in the car, is the last time they are welcome in my presence.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It doesn't bother me at all. I didn't smoke while I was pregnant, but I don't care when others do... Their body, their baby, their choice... Not mine!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I know someone who is 25 weeks preg and smoking. My dd came home the other day and asked why is she smoking with a baby in her...even an 8 yr old gets this is wrong!! I think it is harder said than done to quit when preg but as mothers we have to do hard stuff sometimes!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• They're gross and irresponsible.
    Anonymous

• I think it's trashy and the kids stink like cigs. BLAH!!
    Anonymous

• im 23, been smoking since i was 13. when i got pregnant (by accident), i quit immediatley the day i found out for 3 months then .. then i started having serious issues with my SO and we broke up, i was really stressed & depressed, hanging out with a friend who smoked - i for some reason convinced myself it would be okay to smoke one ciggerate just to calm down, & then that started me smoking an occasional ciggerate for the rest of my pregnancy which im pretty guilty and not too happy about it. i didnt think it was no big deal, i used to cry & have nightmares about it, but i dont know, i couldnt control myself. now that my son is here & healthy, when i do smoke, i go outside, i dont smoke around him at all, even while were outside, i dont smoke in my car, i even mouthwash wash my hands & change my shirt when i do smoke, but i still feel bad and want to quit so bad because i dont want him to see me smoke or start smoking
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i think its very trashy and sad that they do not care about their children enough to not smoke while pregnant or around their them. I agree that it is a form of child abuse.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You use to smoke. That does make you any less like not to develop lung cancer still like the rest of us smokers. Smoking around children isn't right I will not argue with you there. But you have no right to judge other mothers and there smoking habits. We are not all the same. I am proud that you quit. But you would pray that I wouldn't believe that.
    Anonymous

• himself, or worry about my health. me and my SO keep trying to quit, i swear every other week, we finish or throw out the rest of our ciggs, and we say okay starting tommoro we quit, we go the whole day without smoking, or sometimes even two or three days, and alls we do is fight, and were miserable and we hate eachother. and i mean we fight bad. and then one of us gives in, goes and get ciggerates, and the fighting stops. but i figure, if at first you dont succeed, try try again. i think im going to try the patch, ive never tried that. my grandma got hypnotized to quit, and said it works. so i might try that if i have enough money... i will do it, and i will do it soon. its just really really hard.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My best friend smokes - she gave it up for most of first pregnancy...and then didnt even try for her second... I cant stand it....the other day she was talking about how she is afraid she is going to get lung cancer and die and she wouldnt know how to leave her kids to.....and then not even 5 mintues later she went out and smoked 2 of them !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010