*Crying* I just want to sleep...

Im just sooo tired... But i cant sleep if my life depended on it!! I cant take it anymore.
35Wks pregnant, a 3yr old boy, and a 17month old girl... You would think given the chance i should be able to pass right out, wrong!!

No matter what i do i cant sleep for more then an hour. :'( its not fair.
My body is just over tired from this pregnancy. I take 2 tylanol and 1 benadryll before bed everynight like my dr says to to help me sleep but it only helps my get to sleep, i still wake up at 1am and thats it, im up.

I dont Know whatelse to do... if i dont get some sleep, some actual real sleep, im afraid i wont have the energy to give birth or take care of my other kids.

Any advice?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 1:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This is going to sound counter-productive, but you may be trying too hard. When you are awake and want to sleep, just do some relaxations exercises...count backward from 5000, count your heartbeats, fix your pillows so that your whole body is supported in a comfortable position and think about how happy you are to be comfortable, with loving children in the next room and another bundle of joy on the way. If you start thinking "I've got to get some sleep" think instead: "at least I'm in bed and my body is getting some rest". Of course sleep is ideal, but resting off of your feet is the next best thing!
    Anonymous

• Stop taking the Benedryl. It makes me stay up too. It can't be healthy to take while pregnant either, but it sounds like it's keeping you up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I know for kids a lot of the time Benadryl can excite them, maybe it is doing the same for you, although it sounds like you probably had the sleeping problem before and your doctor recommended this to help. When I was pregnant I had trouble sleeping too, and especially I had trouble with waking at night for hours at a time which is so frustrating. Anyway, in my birthing class we did a little bit of hypnobirthing excercises and I tried those when I needed to relax and get back to sleep. The bonus was the breathing did help me some during labor and delivery. What I would do is inhale to a count of 4 and then exhale to a count of 4, and I would just concentrate on breathing slowly, counting, and trying to feel my body relax and sink into the bed and pillow. Nothing else. Once you do this even for a few nights your body starts to recognize the process and you relax even faster. I hope this helps and you can get some rest. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Chamomile Tea or a sleepy time herbal decaf tea might help. Sometimes benedryl makes me sleepy but other times it keeps me up if I take more than one. Benedryl-D for allergy and sinus keeps me up, and makes my skin crawl... I don't take the "D" kind anymore.
    Marshallsmom422

Answer by Marshallsmom422 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010