Any X-ray Technicians?? Toddler x-ray question.

My 19 month old had to get an x-ray on his ankle today and they ended up exposing his genitals when doing it. I wasn't in the room as I'm pregnant, however, my husband was trying to keep the lab coat thing over him and the tech pulled it off just as the x-ray was taken.

I'm sure it didn't do any harm, but is there a chance that it could have? My husband and I are really upset and they just called us back because they need another x-ray. We're thinking of going to another hospital 40 minutes away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not an xray tech. but, I am sure everything is ok. My 12 month old fell and hit his head and they gave me a choice to xray. I turned it down. I ws to watch for symptoms. they assured me it was fine.Check with your Doctor to ease your worries.
    Anonymous

• well all they need to expose is his ankle...he shouldn't even be nude idk why he couldn't leave his undies on....however, i don't think it will cause any damage just think it's inappropriate
    Anonymous

• LOL - PP, I don't think he was naked, I just think the thick covering wasn't over his parts!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• a lab coat would not have protected him from x rays. only a lead shield would.
    x ray technology has improved greatly over the years, so there is less to worry about than there used to be. you should talk to the person who took your xrays, they would know all about the exact equipment used. i hope the ankle is ok!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It should be just fine. The risk of exposure isn't really from 1 times events or even a couple of events... it's over a long period of time and frequent exposures that they see problems. I wouldn't worry about it at all and I don't think it's worth a 40 minute drive to go somewhere else.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm an x-ray tech and you have nothing to worry about. His ankle is far enough away from his genitals he was probably exposed only a tiny bit if any. No worries! :)
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 12:58 AM on Apr. 29, 2010