Son is almost a year and still no crawling, walking, or talking

My son will be a year the middle of May. He is 24+ pounds. He is up on his knees and rocking, but still no walking and no crawling. He talks all the time, but no words. Mostly ah type sounds. I am not sure what to do. We are going to talk to the doctor on Friday but I wondered if any of you have had this. He is the second child if that helps. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful!

theatregirl26

Asked by theatregirl26 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could just be a delay. See what your doctor says. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My son is 2 weeks from a year, on monday he had his first word............otherwise he babbles. He is crawling, has been for a couple months now, and standing, won't walk on his own. Talk to his doc and see what they say. Every child develops differently.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would wait and see what he doc says. It seems like he's making progress, just not as fast as you expected.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My son was crawling at 9 months, walking at 10 and he says dada and Mama.... but I have some friends babies who aren't doing any of it and they are the same age... but just talk to ur doc
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No worries. From what I read and heard from my doctor, babies are not the same .some are early bloomers may crawl at 6 or 8 mths and some not. Maybe you should help him when playing so he can discover those new skills. your doc will be a better ref. Good luck. please report what the doc ll say. Thank you
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Wait and see what the dr says... every child walks and talks at different times! My dd said "mama' and "dada" by a year, then added "ball" but nothing more until she was 19 mos. She also never crawled (walked at 9 mos however). My friends baby started walking at 15 mos and still didn't use any understandable words at 18 mos and she is fine. Her child and mine were born on the same day... they all do things differently. Also, babbling is important and good he is doing that! You're dr will be able to tell you if there are any reasons to worry.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Trust me the words will come with the right help Childrens has a great program when they reach 2. Called PING. For now you are right seeking the expert advice.
    butterfly04rt

Answer by butterfly04rt at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• All babies develop at different rates. My 9 month old, just started getting up on his hands and knees and rocking, and doing the Army crawl. He babbles a lot too and says dada but he doesn't know what it means. He pulls himself up to standing on his own but can't hold up for very long. I would just wait and see what the doctor says. I know my little sister took her 1st steps on her 1st birthday.
    Anonymous