Do you think overweight and obese--

Parents are a bad influence as sport coaches?
Or how about are overweight nurses and doctors a bad influence on their patience?
Or even are overweight gym teachers a bad influence on students?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. Noooooo. I don't. I'm considered "obese".. .I go to the gym everyday for at least an hour. I run outside with my kids and dogs. I eat everything I am supposed to. I just can't lose the weight. I think people play too much on the weight instead of the overall health. Yeah, I'm overweight BUT that's all that is wrogn with me. I'm not borderline diabetic, I don't have high blood pressure, and I don't NOT take care of myself. I'm fat. End of story. That's not a bad influence. Not everyone is lucky enough to be skinny.
    Anonymous

• anon. I am overweight and a t ball coach. I had a parent say something to me about being a bad influence. So I am asking.
    --OP
    Anonymous

• If the person is ACTIVE, and influencing those involved to be ACTIVE, no. IF that were the case, I see it as a good motivator for others who are overweight.
    Likewise, if they are sedentary, they should not be involved to the degree of having an influence on those around them, or under their care.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Personally I think those who are considered obese are being discriminated against and I have always wondered why there is no one standing up for these people. My mom is over weight and I think that they are severely mis-treated by others. and are judged by their appearance. I would even go as far to say it is the new form of racism.

Anonymous

• Personally I think those who are considered obese are being discriminated against and I have always wondered why there is no one standing up for these people. My mom is over weight and I think that they are severely mis-treated by others. and are judged by their appearance. I would even go as far to say it is the new form of racism

---------------------------------------

I disagree. for over 90% of all overweight people it is a choice. Someone can not choose the color of their skin. MOST people can choose to be healthy. It is THEIR fault for choosing not to be.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't be surprised if Michelle Obama thought so... jmo..  With her current campaign and all.. Then there is that city in CA trying to outlaw happy meal toys.... 

But, No.. I don't think so.. As long as (gym teacher and sports coach) can get the children engaged in an activity, KUDOS to them..

Nurses and Dr's? I do think they should represent a healthy lifestyle. Practice what you preachEspecially if they are counseling a patient who has obesity related health issues...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• well as of most recent medical researchers are saying according the women on the view-
    Being 10-15 IBS overweight is now considered healthy. LMBO.
    As of recent medical research being 10-15 IBS overweight staves off osteoperosis and makes you "look younger" and "live longer" as to versus those who are considered normal weight....
    Anonymous

• Ok.... I am someone who has hypothyroidism being overweight is not a choice sometimes it is genetics or a medical condition. I have always been skinny no matter what I ate before I got pregnant with my daughter and I never worked out that's suprising from eating my mommas southern cooking 24/7. After I had my daughter 2 years ago and from quitting smoking when I got pregnant I am currently considered 15 IBS overweight. I workout everyday and eat right and I cant loose weight although I have tried everything. There are people out there who try to do everything and literally anything to loose weight an just can't. They shouldnt be judged!
    Anonymous

• My mom has hypothyroidism and she has a hell of a time trying to loose weight. But even if someone did choose to be that way, it is still not right to judge them. I don't care who you are.
    Anonymous

• so you think heavy doctors and nurses are short tempered?

it's a stupid assumption that people who are overweight or obese are not currently eating well and/or exercising.
    as for coaches, with more kids overweight these days it seems to me to be a positive thing for such kids to see someone bigger being active, to counteract the notion that fitness is only for those who are already fit.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2010