How has tobacco use impacted your life, or the lives of your loved ones/friends?

My DH's Dad died when he was 16. It took his Dad 2 years to die, and he died in the living room. His mother had a really hard time with it, and they grew apart. My DH had a very diffucult time with it, his sibling were all much older and out of the house, so he went through it alone. (my DH also smoked at one time in his life, but quit before he knew me)

I lived with my grandma and she died of "tobacco linked complications" when I was 15. She basically suffocated to death in front of us, there was nothing we could do. She was grasping and struggling. it was horrible. I loved her very much and I hate that she never met her great grandchildren. She would have been so proud of me, and what I've done with my life. I moved in with my boyfriend and tried to drown her memory out. You'd think that would be enough to make me quit smoking but it wasnt I smoked for 8 years after that.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• One of my Great Grandmothers died from complications of lung cancer caused my cigaretter smoking. I was really young when she passed away. All I really remember is she was really sick and in a hospital bed in my Aunts house for a long time and couldnt get out and she coughed a whole lot and she used to tell me to never smoke.
    My dad was a smoker for years and finally quit. About 10 years later, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Also from smoking. In his case though, thankfully he caught it while it was fairly in the beginning stages and was able to be a survivor today.Thank God. It was awful to watch him go through that suffering though and sad to thnk if we had lost him.
    I have seen many people suffer through emphazema and lung cancers while I worked in nursing homes and hospitals.I've befriended most and watched most of them pass away but not without suffering for a long time first.
    I have NEVER smoked a day in my life.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My Dad struggles with quitting, every time he tries he stays out in the yard and picks a fight with anyone stupid enough to go out there.

My brother also smoked for a long time, it took him probably close to 2 years to quit.

I can't have friends that smoke, or go in side of places where people are smoking. If I find out someone I know smokes, I have to stop talking to them, in order to prevent myself from smoking. I dream of smoking, and I dream of smoking pregnant.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• my husband's grandmother is on oxygen and has severe emphasima. Hospitalized three times in the last 6 months for her breathing and has to have a hospital grade air purifier in her house. My grandfather died from lung cancer. Thank god neither one of my parents smoked, I did but quit years ago and my husband stopped 5 years ago.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• me and my SO are struggling so bad to quit. it brings so much stress into our lives for so many different reasons.
    my dad just quit smoking, thank god because i was so worried he was going to die from it one day. however, my stepmom still smokes. theyve been smoking in the house & car with my little sister since she was born, and it REALLY fucken pisses me off. but my stepmom refuses to stop, and my dads an idiot sometimes.
    my grandpa died of lung cancer at 66 from smoking unfiltered camels.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• my grandma also has emphyzema, she quit when she found out. has to use a breathing machine sometimes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010