7 yr old son eating healthy

I have been dating my bf for 6 weeks now. He is a chef and only cooks healthy food. My son down right refuses to eat it. He hasnt been exposed to alot of vegetables or healthy foods due to the fact that I have a disability where there are days I cant walk nonetheless stand. So he has had to eat a lot of microwaveable meals. When we were homeless and still are, we dont have a way to cook things so we eat prepackaged things. When we go to my BF's he needs to eat healthy. PLEASE I AM BEGGING FOR SUGGESTIONS for this is causing stress between my bf and I. He is only trying to do what is best for us.

ocalasinger

Asked by ocalasinger at 1:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Start by having him take just 1 bite. Then maybe the next time 2 bites. Take it slow- I know eating can be a battle.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If your homeless how are you on the internet.
    Anonymous

• honey i hear you,but how do you date? if sometimes you cant even stand? Healthy stuff is easy,penut butter sand,carrots salads yougurt...how can a 7 year old not know his veggies by that age,or like you worded "been exposed"
    Anonymous

• I would talk to him about the chemicals that are in all that processed food just to make it taste better. I would not make healthy eating into something you have to suffer through just for the health benefits -- but I do think an honest conversation about the nutritional differences would be good. I would also stay open to his preferences and listen to what he has to say. Maybe you could get him to talk about exactly what it is he doesn't like about a certain food (too bland, the texture, one particular ingredient, etc)? That might put more of his own attention on the food itself, and maybe he would come to appreciate it more. If you find something he likes, make an effort to include it in healthy meals too. And congratulations on eating healthier - and on the new bf! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My friend is allowing us to stay on a couch in his office. We have an appt next week for transitional housing. We only have a small microwave a hot plate and a toaster oven. I have found a wonderful man who loves us and it doesnt bother him that there are days that I cannot walk. He lives an hour away so he can only come down to see us or us go to him once a week. I can only drive on days when my legs are not bothering me as much. My husband used to cook wonderful meals but we have been divorced since my son was 4 and since then it has been a struggle to have him eat right.
    ocalasinger

Answer by ocalasinger at 2:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Would your son be into helping the BF make the food? If he helps prepare it he might be more into eating it. Also, what about healthier ways to make things kids love, like homemade mac and cheese (with pureed cauliflower added that son doesn't even need to know about) or chicken nuggets made from breast meet that is breaded and baked with homemade french fries. I think the BF's challenge is to try and reinvent some of your son's favorites and then to get him involved in helping in the kitchen. Maybe give your son the choice of helping with the cooking or the clean up- I know as a kid I would have picked the cooking every time. LOL! Good luck. And if there is any veggie or fruit your son does like make sure to include that as much as possible. You could even do healthy homemade pizza. Most kids would love that.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We use the three bite rule. You must try three bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey (on whole grain toast ) with an apple or a kiwi.

It would be great if your friend involved your son in meal planning and preparation.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010