Anyone have/had a colic & acid reflux baby? What is the best formula to use?

My son is 4 weeks old. He is currently on Enfamil Gentlease for his gas and colic issues. Seems to be working..only been on for the past 2 weeks. However it seems to trigger his acid reflux...he is spitting up (more then normal amount) after feedings even up to an hour later! His breath always smells like vomit...I feel awful for him.

Anyone have any suggestions? We do keep him upright position for 30 min after feedings...

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 2:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We tried that brand and it was awful on my sons acid reflux. We ended up getting the Target Brand Soy Formula. It was the only one that seemed not to make his acid reflux worse.
    Anonymous

• my babay was colic too. there is this natural stuff called babies bliss gripe water. it is fennel and ginger. and it settles there little tummy and helps with hicups and stuff. you can give them lots of it. that is what i used. it was a miricle for us. try a different formula too. i breastfeed so i think that makes a difference. you can get this stuff and walgreens and target. good luck. : )
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• isd about colic but my ds has reflux and his doctor put him on similac sensitive rs with the rice in it, he has gotten alot better since he's been on it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Hey hun, my son was colic and had acid reflux also. We breastfed, but he still threw up after every feeding. We just always threw up!! The doctor wasn't worried since he still gained weight. It didn't matter what we did to make it better, the ONLY thing that helped was when he was old enough to sit up on his own! That's when it got better. You may have to bear with it.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Nutramigen....it helped a LOT!
    Anonymous

• I know how you feel. my second baby spit up projectilly after every feeding. it was so agitating that i couldn't do anything about it. i tried soy, i tried gentleess, i also tried thinckening her formula with rice cereal. nothing worked i had to take her off formula at 11mths old and as soon as she started solids it stoped. i don't know what caused it but i'm glad those days are over. you may have to just wait for her to get to solids like i did. Thickening her feeds with the baby rice cereal helps a bit though. as long as she isn't losing weight the doctors always told me not to worry
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• If breastfeeding is an option for you then I would definatly switch to that because our milk is much more tollarable then any formula.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I never had to deal with colic or reflux, but could feeding smaller amounts more often help? DD is mostly BF, but ay daycare she only takes 3oz at a time. We tried 4oz once and she puked most of it back up. Just a suggestion. GL
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 3:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My DD's formula is Nestle Goodstart. I think now it is Gerber Goodstart. It's the green container. This happened to be the 2nd formula we tried, I tried a store brand once and it made her vomit almost immediately. Anyway, it turns out that she is allergic to casein. There are two types of protein in cow's milk, casein and whey. Nestle has only whey protein, no casein. I didn't find this out until she was almost a year old but it explains why that is the only formula she can tolerate. I had never heard of any of this so on the off chance it could help your situation I wanted to mention it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It is all about what works best for YOUR baby. Some babies do great on formula X others do great on formula Y, some babies will do great on ANY formula, some babies will be miserable on any formula. I have heard of moms who planned on formula feeding who ended up relactating because baby was not tolerating any formulas. I hope you find what works for your baby!!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010