Are we raising the entitlement generation?

I just read an article that said we are raising the entitlement generation. Because we give to much to our kids. It went on to say the good "American work ethic" is down the toilet. Thoughts?

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 2:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• That is absolutely true! The kids today believe that they should be given everything and not have to earn them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I hace given my kids everything and more and not one of the three has felt entitled to anything.

Answer by older at 2:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i couldn't agree with that statement more.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do agree with it. I wish I didn't, but I do. My husband's little sister is in college and lives at home. Every couple months she gets a new cell phone, has a really nice car, her parents get her anything she wants and she doesn't have to work and is barely passing through college. But all she does is complain about everything. I don't think she realizes at all how luck she is.
    Anonymous

• Yes... but it started a while ago... there are MANY in their 20s like this.

My husband is a business owner and he is finding it harder and harder to hire people straight out of college because they have NO work ethic. He is having to hire laterally instead of right out of school.

Anonymous

• its actually being seen in people from their late 20s & down right now.. Like alot of people I grew up with.. They always feel like they should be given a break or everything should be easier, faster, ect...
    People now days dont want to save & wait.. they want it now.. My parents were not financially comfortable until their late 30's, early 40s... Everyone now days wants NOW.. They dont want to have to sacrifice, live below their means to save up. buy used cars. not have 2+ tvs.. not have Ipods, Iphones, or even cell phones period...
    We are over-consumers & we want it NOW!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i agree that we are over consuming everything...with my son we plan on having toys for him but not so many that he can't even decide which toy to play with...we want to teach him that spending time with family and helping others are more important than the amount of possessions you have
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the parents. Some kids still know how to work for what they get and delay pleasure. Others don't have a clue.
    Anonymous

• I 100% agree. Kids want everything handed to them. What ever happened to working and learning the value of a dollar? Want an ipod get a job. I think part of the problem in this country is people buying on credit. They want it now.
    Anonymous

• AMEN! Glad my kids are raised and I don't have to deal with the spoiled ass brats that you all are raising now. I hate moms that count, use time out and beg their child to behave!!! It makes me want to puke!
    Anonymous