Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My one year old ate fish flakes!!! Help!

Is he going to be okay? I read the ingrediants, and there is no warning label or anything, he only ate a little bit...should i call poison control?

Answer Question
 
MrsJacqueline

Asked by MrsJacqueline at 2:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • just give him water and put things like that up where your child can't reach them use a little common sense on putting things away
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • I have no idea, but anon shut up obviously it was an ACCIDENT!
    mamie2shoes

    Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • lol yeah mine have done that too. he will be okay, just keep them up from now on. It is funny what they will eat sometimes.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

    Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • I wouldn't worry about it. Unless there's a warning you should be fine...it IS food afterall.
    mamie2shoes

    Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • well yea i know it was an accident but accidents like that can be prevented if you do the smart thing in the 1st place
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • anon 2:29pm, that was a little harsh. don't act like you have never made a mistake with your kids. i would think sense it is food that a fish can eat and they are ok, it wouldn't hurt your child, but you can always call a poison control to be safe, they are helpful, i called a poison control once because my son at 2yrs old got into my purse and ate about 20tums, poison control told me he might have diarehea bu thats it, i'd call to be safe
    dkej242

    Answer by dkej242 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • he'll be fine. most likely it is just ground up shrimp and other fish like food sources. it must have smelled or tasted good to him! teehee
    jewjewbee

    Answer by jewjewbee at 2:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • yes i have made mistakes but i have never left something out that my child might eat and get harmed
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • fish flakes sound harmless, but calling poison control cant hurt. When my son was 2 he was sick and we ended up on the couch together downstairs. I had been up all night and started nodding off. The bottle of baby tylenol was on the table and I hadnt closed it correctly. I woke up to the sound of son eating the aspirin. I called poison control and they told me he was ok, scared me to death though. I was surprised to learn they can eat half a bottle of tylenol and not have to be rushed to emergency.....a lesson I really didnt want to have learned that night.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • He'll be fine- there are MUCH worse things they can get into, and still be fine. Once you see your kid eat their own poop, your whole perspective changes. LOL

    As for anon, I have a wonder kid who takes things apart, and makes tools to do so- you would be AMAZED at what you can do with a chunky puzzle piece. I also have one who climbs the walls, door frames, etc. There is NO place that is "safe". When they are little you CAN put things away, most of us do- but that is by no means an answer to the problem. Kids explore.

    Fortunately he ate something harmless, and mom learned a little more about what her baby is capable of doing, they grow and change SO fast, it's hard to keep up.
    ObbyDobbie

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.