when can you take off hte crib bumpers?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 2:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's true, what anonymous before me said. You're not supposed to use them at all. But for some reason they haven't been recalled. Doesn't make much sense to me. They are a suffication hazard. It's even probably in those papers that the hospital sent home with you when your baby was born. I did use them with my last three children because i didn't know the risks.. but I'm not going to be using them with this next baby.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 2:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I always left them on, otherwise his little legs would hang right off the sides. So I don't know lol!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i took my sons off a few weeks ag b/c he gets ahold of them he's 8 months
    Anonymous

• mine have been off since 9 months but thats because i washed them and they shrunk haha
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 2:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Whenever you want. I think they are just for looks. I always kept them on.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• actually, you're not supposed to use them until baby is big enough to intentionally roll over. they are a suffocation risk. don't worry about him getting his head stuck between the spindles. cribs are manufactured so that can't happen. bumpers are never necessary. they are for decoration only.

Anonymous

• I have never had them for the suffocation risk reason, although I am now considering getting them. DD is 18 months and she rolls around so much in her sleep, sometimes I hear a little thud and I know it is her rolling around and hitting her head on the sides of the crib.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• it is true, the are no longer recommended. i think they are pretty though, and i do like that it keeps the limbs in the crib! i took ours off when i was changing sheets a lot, and the bumper was really hard to work around.
    so, you can take them off now if you want to :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I never used one. You can take them off now!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I started using the breath-through kind since DS would roll around the crib and get his legs stuck between the slats (it didn't seem to really hurt him but definitely freaked him out a couple of times!) If your baby is a wiggly one like mine, it might make sense to keep it so his limbs don't get stuck. But I would take it out once he's standing or pulling up. You don't want him to use it as a step ladder to climb out! I hear that babies can be very resourceful when trying to get out a crib and this could be dangerous.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010