family bike ride -- what worked for you

We have a 3 year-old (almost-3) and a 19 month-old. We want to start taking bike rides as a family this summer, and we're considering either a trailer that the girls can sit in together or a seat that fits onto each of our bikes, one for each girl. If you had the seat, how long could your kids ride in it? How safe did it feel? Did the kids like it? Same questions I guess for the trailer. And how much did you pay, how high of quality did you go for? I know there's a lot on the market... Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son rode in a seat on my husbands bike until he was 4. He was pretty small. He LOVED it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We had a trailer and the kids all loved it. My older ones are now on their own bikes (they are 10 & 12.) My youngest is 5 and usually goes on the alley cat trail a bike thing. It makes him feel like a big kid and gets his legs used to peddling. He started using it on short rides last year at 4.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My kids LOVED that seat! They can stay in it up to 40 pounds. It's a lot of extra work for the adult, but hey, it's extra exercise. It takes a little extra balancing, but nothing too bad. They felt safe. I felt safer with them there than I would have dragging them behind me. Now, we each have our own bikes, and the 4 (almost 5 year old) pumps his legs on his bike with training wheels. It's cute.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010