Would you feel uneasy taking a medication not originally intended for why it was prescribed?

My doctor has me taking a blood pressure medicine (when i have no problems with blood pressure). It's for contractions. He also has prescribed me a medicine for asthma, which i have no asthma problems.. for contractions though. I don't really feel safe taking these medicines, even though I HAVE to or I will go into labor. Can these medicines cause me blood pressure or asthma problems? I'm asking my doctor tomorrow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Health

• Many many medications have off label uses. The meds he has you on may be for BP and asthma but the benefit to you is it is a smooth muscle relaxant which means it relaxes your uterus. You will not have asthma after the baby is born, nor will you have high BP, the meds are not designed to give it to you. Once the baby is born your body will go back to normal without the meds.. Now with the BP med, your BP might go up slightly until the body regulates it's self, once that happens, it should go back to your normal BP.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yeah, I have no idea hon, check with your dr and good luck
    Anonymous

• i would trust doctors. one medication has many ways of acting onto human organisms and your doctor must had thought it's to help you. if you develop any side effects (not necessariloy of those listed), call him/her immediatelly, as he can substitude it for some other drug. do not count onto changing it for some developed for other diseases, as the root of actions of the meds of one branch are usually similar. i hope your medications will help you. i would not look onto what the med is for as much as if it's helping me.
    BabySon1

Answer by BabySon1 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Not really. There are tons of meds used off-label. I work for a TBI specialist and we use drugs off-label all the time. Example: Lamictal is for Epilepsy (which I have) but it can also be used as a mood stabilizer for those w/ Bipolar.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 3:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I took a med to lower my prolactin so I could get pregnant. I researched it and found out it was for Parkisons Disease. Parkisons patients take 2 a day and I was prescribed 1/2 pill 2 times a week. I now have a beautiful daughter because of that drug. I say talk to your dr some more about your situation.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i would be nervous taking any medication, but that is me. i have had a preemie. i would probably take it if there was nothing i could do to stop my contractions on my own. do you know why you are having contractions? and how far along are you? you can always ask your dr., what are the alternatives? what would happen if i did nothing? what are the possible side effects? how often are these meds used for this purpose, and how successful is it?
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010