this is kinda a silly question but if your child is allergic to pollen can they have local honey?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes, my allergist actually recommended that we buy local honey. It can help your child build up an immunity to the local pollen. We use it all the time for our son who has outfood/animal/and food allergies.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• but could he possibly have an allergic reaction to it? He is very allergic to pollen.
    Anonymous

• My son never has, you should probably ask your allergist. I know my son has severe allergies and can still have it. He has to be on 3 allergy medications during allergy season(only 1 the rest of the year) and cannot have allergy shots for fear of a severe reaction(he had an anaphylactic reaction to the scratch test and had to be sent to the ER) but he has never had a problem with the honey.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Where I used to live I use to use local honey all the time to relieve my allergies. Now I can't find any local grown stuff, so I'm miserable most of the time. I'm trying to be hopeful, maybe this year I can find some.

I shouldn't hurt your son, like laciD said, I'd start him with small amounts. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon a day to see how it affects him, working up to larger amounts. Or if you have a good health food store, and I mean one where the people actually know what they're talking about, cuz a lot of them don't. Check with them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have pollen allergies and have no problem with any honey. I can't eat apple skins though.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• exactly what laciD said
    Anonymous

• I have heard that it will help boost their immunity against local pollens. Of course, you'll want to talk to a dr. first just to make sure...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:07 PM on May. 2, 2010