what to feed him with? such a trouble he causes refusing his meals

my son is 14 months of age. he can finger feed himself. it makes him feel so good about himself. the problem - he refuses every single spoon of the food i've been offering him, on account of all the crispies. his lips are tight close when the spoon approaches. i gave him ravioli today, he refused thought. braccoli, carrots etc. with none seccess.... any help please? tricks?

BabySon1

Asked by BabySon1 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Stop letting him feed himself. He will eat from a spoon then.

Answer by louise2 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Let him feed himself! He can pick up ravioli, carrots, etc.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I just gave my daughter stuff she could eat with her fingers mostly so I didn't have to deal with a spoon. And then eventually I just had to give her the spoon and let her learn to do it herself. It was messy, no doubt, but I didn't really see how else she could learn. Also, limit the crispies, etc, they aren't anywhere near as healthy as actual food. For carrots, try steaming them in the microwave or a steamer and then cutting into small cubes so baby can ear them as finger food, just make sure everything is soft enough to chew. Again, it might be messy, but so it goes. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• All of the foods you mentioned can be cut up in small peices and put on the tray, in a bowl, or on a plate for him to feed himself. Give him the spoon and fork, and let him eat in peace. Yes, it makes for more cleanup, but it's worth it to know he's eating!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Feed him what you eat. Don't offer "kids" foods. Plenty of water to drink. He'll get it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Apr. 29, 2010