Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice please

My aunt has three kids now ages 16, 11, & 7… 3 years ago she did heroin. I got guardianship of the kids at that time, I was 18 & not fully understanding the situation she manipulated me into giving them back to her just after 3 weeks. She said she was better. A month later the kids where telling me how mommy was acting. I called DSS, the police, the school, even went down to the DSS office showed them videos of the filth they live in and how things are. NOTHING WAS DONE. This is still going on. She goes to a methadone clinic however she is dropping cigg on the floor when she falls asleep, sleeping on the kitchen & bathroom floor, sleeping in the car slurs her words & makes no sense when talking. She keeps buying animals and they keep dying or escaping her house it is fifthly. (continued bellow)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (8)
  • continued) These are my cousins. After I called the police (not realizing they were as crooked as she) I asked them to go to her house after I left in tears, I asked them to do a wellness check. 6 hours later they showed up. I did not know she was friends with them. My cousin have rashes even the Drs have called DSS & the school. I’m so stressed. She won’t allow me to see her kids because I called them but I love them and don’t know what else I can do. HELP PLEASE... Those kids need to get out of there….There has to be other option PLEASE I BEG YOU THIS HAS GONE ON TOO LONG...

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • I think you have to keep bugging people until something is done. If it is as bad as you say it is then it shouldn't take much for someone to see this is a bad situation. Maybe try the cops again and someone else will go, call DSS every day, keep reporting it and keep pestering until something is done. I hope you can get through to someone.

    Answer by MaryMW at 3:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • i agree with marymw. just keep calling keep pestering. and talk to the teachers and tell them to keep calling too. eventually something will be done!

    Answer by jennifer588 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • No nothing will be done its been 3 years!!!! 3 years. I have called every person imaginable. Im just so upset rifght now. Why do we have theese people if they dont do there job? WHy? Im sorry im just so hurt by all this. so hurt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • You said you had guardianship 3 years ago, but gave the kids back after 3 weeks, so I'm wondering here....Did you legally have guardianship through the courts and, when you gave the kids back, did you legally drop your guardianship? Because, if you still have legal guardianship, you can just go take those kids and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Your aunt would have to take you back to court to get custody again, at which time a judge would see the disgusting living conditions, neglect & abuse, so you would probably be awarded full custody & guardianship again. There will probably be some discussion regarding why you gave up custody initially and why you took so long to take the kids back, but given your age & circumstances at the time, the judge may overlook those things.

    If you did legally return the children to their mother, then your next option would be to talk to a family lawyer and see where you stand.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

  • If local authorities will not help, go above them. Have you talked to the CPS supervisor? Call your state reps & governor's offices. There are always options.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:43 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • CPS should be called at this point. If the first people who show up aren't concerned, get their names, call the place back and demand someone else. Same goes for the police. Document the situation with photographs, etc. Good luck momma!

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:05 PM on May. 2, 2010

  • Are the kids unhappy in the situation?If so have them go to their teachers at school and tell them theirselves.It must be awful for you to have to see this and not be able to do anything about it.

    Answer by fryshannon34 at 12:46 PM on May. 4, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.