More on the language question

Found this while looking into another question:

New Census Bureau Report Analyzes Nation’s Linguistic Diversity:
Population Speaking a Language Other than English at Home Increases by 140 Percent in Past Three Decades

The number of people 5 and older who spoke a language other than English at home has more than doubled in the last three decades and at a pace four times greater than the nation’s population growth, according to a new U.S. Census Bureau report analyzing data from the 2007 American Community Survey and over a time period from 1980 – 2007. In that time frame, the percentage of speakers of non-English languages grew by 140 percent while the nation’s overall population grew by 34 percent.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/014737.html

Asked by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/014737.html

It makes me wonder if the English-only advocates are trying to douse a fire with a water pistol.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Ahh I doubt many are 'English-only' I am for making English our first official language..not for stamping out speaking any other languages..I think everyone should know English and it should be required..I am not for dismissing other languages..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's just proof that the caucasion population is slowly becoming the minority in this country whether by legal or illegal means. There are no families already here who just decide to go out and learn a new language to speak. I think it is still doable and it is definately time to officially name English as our national language.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I think some famillies speak alot of BullSh-- at home.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• "Ahh I doubt many are 'English-only' I am for making English our first official language.."

Agreed. I also think we should. But be aware...having an official language does NOT mean you can't make documents available in other languages too. I have a feeling that an official language designation will end up signifying nothing.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• lol jewjew

gd my opinion is all should have to learn English it should be our official language and I do not feel those who do not wish to learn another language should have to.If they want to so be it but not made to.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• lol jewjew

------------

^^^This says it all for me, as well! Thanks, tn!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's really a political issue what people speak at home. Their home; their rules.

It really only gets to be a political issue when it comes to government services, or government imposed regulations on private industry in regards to language.
    Anonymous

• I think it's great that so many people these days are bilingual, like myself ;]

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We have 2 official languages in Canada, English and French. What is the big deal, why not have English and Spanish since so many speak. it!
    Anonymous