Can your kindergartner do this?

My son has a workbook with money, fractions and telling time... He seems to be having trouble with money... How do I help him? He doesn't seem to understand what I am telling him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Play with money. Give him a small allowance - assign different coin values to each 'job' he is assigned. Let him earn his income based on what jobs he completes. Handling the money helps a lot. Play store with him. Play monopoly. (seriously, we played swapping out real coins and dollar bills for the play money.) Put a dollar bill in his hand. Then show him piles of coins - explain the 4 quarters is the same as that dollar. The 10 dimes is the same and so on. go for a walk and look for lost coins. :) When he finds enough coins, let him exchange his pennies for bigger coins, and those eventually for other larger denominations, etc. Keep your spare change in a jar. Let him help you sort and roll the coins then go with you to the bank to exchange them for bills.

Recognizing coins is really just about memorization. Give him plenty of chance to practice and it goes a long way.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• fractions in kindergarten? what kind of fractions? that seems crazy. my son will be going next year. I've been working with him on sorting money ...he can read numbers..i don't think he understands the clock though. Maybe you can play cashier with him.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• try a different way of explaining it. it's all about how the child learns.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• The work book shows a square sectioned off and shaded, he has to tell what part is shaded or it will tell him to shade 1/3 of the pie. He does very well with that and he does pretty good with clocks but money is his toughy...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• maybe you can play cashier like i said..and some sorting games. Let him pretend to buy something and tell him its 75 cents..let him count it out to you..or when you go to the store let him pay for stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Take an apple and cut it into 4 slices,,, show him how 2 make half of an apple and 1 makes 1/4,,,it seems a little steep for kindergarten,, but IMO visual aids work the best.. Go to the bank and get 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 20 nickels and 100 pennies show him that is what it takes to make a dollar! My DS just turned 5 and will start kindergarten next year...is fractions what I have to look forward to? Dear God,, I don't think I will be able to help him with math past the first grade then, LOL! Good luck mommy,, and have fun? I guess, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• He is in an accelerated class...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• with the shading in the pie thing my pre k does something like that they will have so many jelly beans or whatever and they have to graph it out of and color in how many of each color they have
    Anonymous

• Make a clock out of a paper plate and cheerios and something cardboard for the clock's hands.
    Baking uses alot of fractions. Make a pizza together. Use the pepperonion half of the pizza to give him an example of fractions and cut the pizza into fractions.
    Put 4 Leggos together and show him fractions like that.
    As far as money, at least the quarter is big and the dime is the smallest. Start with that. After he learns to recognize what coin is which, he needs to learn the value of each coin. This is how my dd did it in school....a penny was easy and was counted as one. She would draw one line on the nickel. On the dime, she would draw 2 lines, and on the quarter she would draw 5 lines. Each line represents a value of 5. Count the lines by 5's. This is how she learned to count money.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would get him REAL change to work with. First make sure he can ID the coins and tell what they are worth FIRST!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010