Do you think it's right to teach your child the proper names of "body" parts?

Since my daughter was born I've been reading articles about why it's good to teach children that a woman has a vagina and a man has a penis (reasons are to get the comforable with talking to their parents about sexuality, and the child wouldn't be ashamed to come and tell the parent if something bad were to happen to them) But just recently it came to my attention that some people find it offensive. How do you feel about it?

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't teach my daughter any other way. IMO the more PROPER information we give our children, the better they can understand. With better understanding comes better choices and the awareness and empowerment to protect themselves and/or speak up, in the event that something happens. I don't believe in shielding my daughter for information that can help her.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It is best for them to call the parts by their real name. My daughter has been molested, and for court if she knew the real names it would go a lot smoother. But we had only taught her to call them privates..
    Anonymous

• my dd calls it something else but she knows what it is really called. i dont find it offensive, she just cant say vagina yet. lol
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• my sons are 2 and 4 right now they know boys have "pee pee" and girls do not. My 4 year old knows the term penis and in the next few years I will start teaching both of them the tech. terms for everything. I do not think its offensive at all. There is nothing offensive about knowing the correct terms for their body parts.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Why not call a thing what it is? we have always used the correct terms and my 13 yr. old ds has always been okay with that. Human anatomy is biology. It's 2010 people, let's move forward.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I absolutely agree with teaching the right names and nixing the taboo of talking about body parts and sexuality. If they feel comfortable, then later in life they won't be afraid to come to you about it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No, I don't find it offensive at all for children to know the proper names. But I still call my daughters "private area" Butterfly, she's only 14 months. When she is older and can understand more I will tell her the real names such as Urethra is where the urine (or pee-pee) comes out. The Rectum and the anus is where the poo-poo comes out and whatever else becomes necessary as she gets older.
    Anonymous

• My kids won't be learning the proper names. Or I take that back... I will teach them the names of their "stuff" but referring to it or making a statement. I don't want to hear penis, vagina, or anything like that. It's a pee pee.. weiner.. balls.. (my 10 and 12 year old sons love to call it their weiner and balls) and my daughters can call it a tootie (which they do and they are 8 and 11) To each it's own.. but I just dont' like those proper names. Now, they all know what the proper word for it.. we just don't use it.
    Anonymous

• we have all kinds of nic names for "penis" in our house.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• lets see...ptong, tallywacker, jimdog, wanker, weiner, you name it..we probably use it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010