Census mail results could be trouble for 5 states

WASHINGTON (AP) - Five states - New York, California, Texas, Arizona and Florida - are close to losing out on congressional seats because of lackluster participation in the U.S. census.
Statistics released Wednesday show those states are average or below average in mailing back the 10-question census forms when compared to other states.
Of the five states on the cusp, the biggest potential losers are California, which could end up losing a House seat, and New York,
which could have a net loss of two seats.
Texas may end up gaining just three House seats instead of four.
Arizona and Florida may lose out on adding one or two House seats.
On Saturday, Census workers begin knocking on the doors of those
who did not respond to the mail-in form.

Asked by gdiamante at 5:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i dont get why people dont just mail it back. it's ten questions and it's not like you have to even pay for postage. shows how lazy americans are becoming and how much they dont care about their government.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Sent mine back. Did my part.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We received ours super late so we mailed it late.
    Anonymous

• Pity CA is only losing one. Accounting for the percentage of state residents who never vote, the state is overrepresented. Barely more than half of eligible voters show up for even the big ones (like 2008), turn out for the midterms is much lower, so that's a whole lot of clout for about half of the actual people they allegedly represent.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I just put mine in the mail today...hubby thought I mailed it, I thought he did. We have been so busy getting our daughter back and forth to appointments and treatments everything is getting lost in the shuffle lately.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 5:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I work for the Census and you are right, we are getting ready to head out knocking on doors this Saturday. If the bureau did not get your forms in the mail, then we will be knocking on your door. Our greatest fear is that some people will completely refuse to answer the 10 simple questions. There have been a lot of people who have decided the census is a conspiracy....it is NOT! The census is simply to ensure proper representation and to ensure that communities have the proper amount of schools, hospitals, and all other community needs. Please tell your friends and neighbors to be as helpful as possible. This is for the good of everyone!
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• "Pity CA is only losing one. Accounting for the percentage of state residents who never vote, the state is overrepresented. Barely more than half of eligible voters show up for even the big ones (like 2008), "

NP, I just took a look. The United States Election Project lists CA's turnout at 62.5% in 2008. Admittedly low....but still higher than the national average of 62.4%.

Hawaii had the lowest turnout...50.8%. Highest turnout was in Minnesota at 78.4%.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Well, here in eastern PA, my hubby will be knocking on doors starting in about 1 1/2 weeks! :o) He took the test about 14 MONTHS ago, and will be going to a paid training session all next week. He expects to be working for about 6-8 weeks completing roughly 25-30 hours per week--he's "cashing in" on some vacation and sick time.

Based on the following from Pew Research...I think he's going to be working longer than that!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• NP, I just took a look. The United States Election Project lists CA's turnout at 62.5% in 2008.

I'll have to go back and find it again, but the report I found listed it in the 50's. Was yours percentage of eligible or percentage of registered? The percentage of registered is always higher. Thing is, 55 or 62, in terms of raw numbers, that at least 9 million who didn't show. That's higher than the population of all but 10 states. 9 million people (eligible voters, not total population) who are counted towards representation and don't even show up to say how they want to be represented.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Sent mine back they day after I received it.

Answer by older at 7:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2010