Can Faith and/or beliefs be humble?

If not, why?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not really sure what you mean...are you asking whether or not people with Faith or beliefs can be humble?
    Anonymous

• Yes. I think alot of things can humble a person beside faith and beliefs. Have you ever been a waitress or worked with small children? lol As far as a christian belief, it pleases God. Jesus was humble and showed humility. He washed his apostles feet before he died.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No.
    Humility does not make a man presume to know, and spiritual beliefs are usually conclusions based on an unoriginal, influenced collection of thoughts.

Allow

Answer by Allow at 5:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm with first poster not really sure what you mean. I think if my interpretation is right. Yes it can though few let it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I mean by this definition of humble: •marked by meekness or modesty; not arrogant or prideful

Can you still feel strong in your faith if you are humble in it? Or does it require you to shout it out to others, at every opportunity? If you can't be humble in your beliefs, why not?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• "Can you still feel strong in your faith if you are humble in it?" Oh absolutely, coming from a Christians perspective I think Faith itself can be humbling, just knowing that there is something bigger than myself out there.

"Or does it require you to shout it out to others, at every opportunity?" That depends on the person, and I would imagine what their specific beliefs are as well. Personally I don't believe I am one of those people, but if somebody questions my Faith or my beliefs or if somebody makes a statement about either of those and it misrepresents what I really feel or believe I won't hesitate to speak right up about it.

"If you can't be humble in your beliefs, why not?" IMHO I think again it depends on the beliefs. There are people who are so wrapped up in the "right-ness" of their beliefs that it causes them in turn to view people and other beliefs in those terms, right vs. wrong = superior vs. inferior.
    Anonymous

In that case I interpreted it right and stick by my answer.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I think it can work either way.

Beliefs can help you be humble just like your personality can keep your beliefs humble.

If a person isnt humble then odds are good their beliefs wont be simply because beliefs are an extension of that person.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes, but you don't remember those Christians because it's the loud Christians that you find so unpleasant.  However there are plenty of humble Christians out there.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Yes. Humility is a virtue to Christians. Christ himself was the greatest example of it. It tends to be one of the virtues that is hardest to attain for most people. Pride and defensiveness and arrogance are a big part of our culture in this day and age.
    Anonymous