How should representatives be assigned

by number of residents or by number of votes tallied? Should states get credit for representation of people who never even bother to register?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Our Constitution is written with the provision that representation in Congress shall be determined by a census every 10 years. We can't really change it without ammending the Constitution (again) and that could potentially cause all sorts of new problems. Besides, I think every citizen deserves the right to representation, whether they vote or not.

And if you haven't filled out your damn form, DO IT! Has nothing to do with the government getting into your business and everything to do with making sure our states are properly represented at the national level.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Our Constitution is written with the provision that representation in Congress shall be determined by a census every 10 years.

It's already been changed repeatedly - they capped the number of representatives instead of letting it grow with the population. If we used the same rules they originally set up. If we were still represented proportionately to how we were when they first wrote the constitution, we'd have 10,234 members of congress. Instead of one rep for every 30k people, we now have one rep for every 212k people. That means every 212k people in large states who don't vote is a whole extra representative they get in congress compared to smaller states who aren't even given more than 2 even if they have more actual voters.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm all for representation by voter turnout. Might actually get more people to show up. As a NATION we did a pretty poor job showing up last time.

Data here: http://elections.gmu.edu/Turnout_2008G.html

Answer by gdiamante at 5:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Want to know what my husband thinks? He thinks we should go completely Starship Trooper and only allow people to vote who have served in the military. Based on that, representation should probably go off the number of people in the military (including NG and Reserves).

Or, just to get people to show up and vote, we could take the Australian tactic and fine people who don't vote.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I think it should be based on total VOTER REGISTRATION. If you can't be bothered to register, let alone vote, then you obviously don't care about politics or being represented. Registering to vote is even easier than filling out your census form--especially when you can register when you apply/renew your driver's license, at larger supermarkets and libraries (as primaries and local elections near),! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I agree with the total registration tactic.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You have to follow the Constitution. You and I may think that people who don't even bother to register shouldn't have a voice, but they do. We speak for them. Make wise decisions and speak with purity of heart. You are not just casting a vote for you. You and I are casting votes for those who are too lazy, disinterested, unable, infirmed, or sick to cast a vote.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It really pains me to see women that don't vote. They should be ashamed. Women went through so much just to get the right to vote. If you don't know about this struggle, spend some time studying the suffrage movement. It will move you to tears..and to VOTE!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I agree with the Founding Fathers on this issue
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

You think we should have over 10k members of the house of reps?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010