you are not depressed, your lazy !

My SIL is driving me crazy ! She has always been "nutty" and "annoying" but she grew on me...but now I am about to scrape her off .

She doesnt work, doesnt clean, doesnt do anything, because she says she is depressed.... BUT she only says that when someone says something about the way she is acting ( with a bad attitude) ... when she is spending money, or partying she is happy as can be...ONLY when someone comments on how stinking dirty her house is ( the kind you have to make a trail through) or when my brother tries to contain her spending THAT is the only time the depression comes up.

I have had depression, I think maybe that is why it bugs me so much that she is doing this. I know that when you have it, you dont want to do anything, let alone party EVERY NIGHT. And yes this is more of a complaint not a question...but it is open for comments / advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that people react to depression in different ways. A lot of people drink their sorrows away and maybe what is actually an alcoholic is being called depression alone. When you're depressed and turn to alcohol for that quick fix every night you end up even more depressed and "lazy" the next day meaning the cycle continues. I would try to put yourself in her shoes and understand exactly why she is partying and what it is she is depressed about and for your brothers sake maybe try to find a way to get her help. Walking through garbage to get to a couch is not a sign of a happy and healthy, well balanced person. This requires counseling and help. Please talk to your brother about getting her help before she destroys all of the relationships in her life.
    Anonymous

• when you say partying,,is she really going out to party? If so, alcohol is probably involved and it is a terrific number upper. I have had a dirty house too,,,I was diagnosed with a very rare eye disease in Jan of this year. I literally sat on my couch for 3 weeks straight trying to get a grip on this thing. When I came too,,,lol,,my house was upside down. It made me even more depressed. My teen dd actually kicked my butt into gear and little by little we took on one room at a time. I really took my frustrations out on the shower scum. Ask your brother to get her started, somewhere in the house. I bet it will help her alot to shake this off. I do believe she is dealing with some sort of depression issues and she has to walk through it to get to the other side,,,good luck
    Anonymous

• Shopping and partying can be part of depression. It's an exscape for some.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• maybe you should talk to her about it. maybe she really is and she just needs a friend. maybe even help her get her house cleaned up. i know when my house is clean it makes me feel a ton better. she may feel overwhelmed by the mess.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It sounds like she may suffer from Bi-Polar Disorder. I say this because the disease has swings between depression and mania. When manic, many sufferers will spend money like there's no tomorrow. I would suggest that she seek Psychiatric advice.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 5:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i have clinical depression and I partied too hard for too many years because it WAS my escape ... it only ended up making things a ton worse though....
    Anonymous

• there are lots of different kinds of depression.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I agree with Jennifer. I got a little depressed and lost motivation in some things but Im not terribly messy or lost. Im not sure if it was depression or maybe more frustrated with things and hubby. I started blowing off things and I used to be so organized. Now I feel like things pile up on me and its easy to ignore it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I understand about the other parents of depression, like you guys described...I forgot to add in...and it is one of the main reasons I think she is faking is because she always tells her friends how happy she is and how perfect life is - which I also know she could be saying that....I guess it is just the way she acts.....she is competly happy and "bubbly" UNTIL someone says something about her partying or the mess...and then that is her reason...,.my mom even offered to pay for her to go to talk to someone and she said no she doesnt need it......the mess isnt garbage per say.... it is all of her stuff she didnt unpack ( she tries to bribe our 10 & 12 year old cousins to do it for her) .....
    Anonymous

• lol I meant parts - not parents.
    Anonymous