Atheist please. I was just told to turn to Atheist for help by a Christian so I am. Let's see if they have more compassion then the Christians did. With the exception of the 2 or 3 kind Christians who answered my post.

If you ever find your self in financial distress where do you turn? What do you do? Any suggestions and ideas?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Unfortunately, there are very few options that do not have a religious affiliation. Helping Hands finally became absorbed by the state (SC) and can no longer put people through the prayer hoops to get help, but I honestly don't know WHERE you can go for FAST assistance, that doesn't come w/ religion strings.

Not too many options outside of asking friends/fam for a small $$ (which is easier to pay off, as people don;t sweat the small stuff so much, so you have a little more time), and see if you can come up w/ enough... Or do the welfare thing- NOT what I would suggest, and I don't know anything about it.
    You can also put your self out there- find a couple Gigs on Craigs List, or look through what you have to see if there is anything of worth that you can part with.... I know how hard it is, but stuff can be replaced, kids can be taken for being without shelter. KWIM?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm agnostic, but I have no idea what financial distress has to do with your religion or lack thereof.... I'd need more info to help you, what kind of distress are you in? Are you working, do you have a husband, family, what's the issue exactly?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I turn to family. I turn to people I am close to and I talk it over with them. See if we can work out a plan to. I know that if its immeditate distress there are always locals chapters willing to help people. More than anything I breathe and try not to panic.

Good luck and I am sorry that "christians" can be rude that way sometimes.
    Anonymous

• we have turned to our family a few times. and the state for things like health care and food stamps.
    Anonymous

• from a Christian -----i would sit down and go over my budget. see where i can make cuts and see if i can do without "special" items. if it is major distress then i would try getting a loan for the amount.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Oh, and try calling United Way- They have the LARGEST list of resources available, just call their 800# (google it), and explain the situation, and that you do not know what resources are available in YOUR area, or where to start. They will give you a list of #s right there, or e-mail them to you. Their list tends to be much more cohesive than ones you'll find through social services, or a church.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I turn to myself as I always do for everything. I do as much research as I can to see what is available to help me. We sell stuff at pawn shops and yard sales. We have voluntarily returned our vehicles to the banks. We are now getting ready to file bankruptcy on our foreclosed home in Florida, and we have moved in with my MIL to help her out and to try and save up some money to unbury ourselves. BTW, we have NO credit cards...my DH and I both became unemployed in 2008 which started the downhill roll. Luckily my DH got a job here in NC and I am working temporarily for the Census. When things go wrong in an athiets' life we try to figure out what happened, why it happened, and what we can do to improve the situation.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 5:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Well I'm Other, but since you're looking for real answers - Salvation Army has funds to help pay utility bills, and unlike so many people who post here, they don't discriminate on basis of religion. There are also state funds that help with utility payments, check your state's website.
    Feeding America has pantries all over the country:
    http://feedingamerica.org/#
    Mercy Corps also has a domestic program to help you find a way back on your feet:
    http://www.mercycorps.org/
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• A job?!
    Anonymous

• Make that ... "in an atheist's life"...sorry for the typo
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 5:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2010