Yay!! Doc just confirmed I can go back to breastfeeding. Now I have a couple ??...

I am now free and clear to go back to ATTEMPTING to breastfeed. I had a dual electric pump and it did NADA. I mean I could sit there for an hour and get maybe 2-3 ounces. DD is a big girl now (5 months). 2-3 ounces is not gonna cut it. So my question to you all is what is a good, fairly cheap manual pump I can use? What can I do to start the flow of breastmilk, my supply has somewhat dried up. I know you all are going to tell me to put DD to the boob, but I cannot express in words the anxiety i have just THINKING of putting her on. I would rather pump and bottle feed. I may be bashed for it and thats fine. Are there any things I can buy over the counter to help my supply? Any help and advice please. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "can someone else latch her while you're sleeping? blindfolded? it's so not a big deal, even if you were raped or beat- it's a baby it's not going to hurt you. "

WTF!!! seriously?

Anyhoo, to the question at hand... the easiest way to increase supply is hydrate and stimulate production (meaning empty your breasts regularly). Pump every couple hours, even at night until you get a good supply going. Pump until your flow slows down to where it's almost stopped. Your body produces more of the lactation hormone prolactin at night and emptying your breasts at night will increase prolactin more than if you don't. it's tedious, but it works.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• there is a cheap electris pump from walmart, i have also seen it a target, that you can get. I used it and it worked awesome! If i needed to pump and it wasnt time for a feeding i would stand in a hot shower with the water hitting my chest for about 10 minutes or so and that would start lactation. GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• There are certain teas and herbs that are supposed to help increase milk supply, look it up..

Anonymous

• Some women cannot get anything out when pumping. It's not a fault of the pump. A baby is way more efficient. I would start nursing and see if she can increase your production. Fenugreek, thistle seed, and Mother's milk tea are good for increasing production. Look at a natural herbalist store not a GNC or CVS for better quality.

Don't be discouraged if you still need to supplement for awhile until it comes back.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Two or three ounces is MORE than normal output, you know. Normal is one half to two ounces TOTAL. If you're not pumping EVERY two hours for 15 monutes and NO MORE, start. DO NOT pump longer...it'll only frustrate you. 15 minutes every two hours.

And 2-3 ounces is fine even at this age. Their needs remain one to one and a half ounces per hour. That does NOT change.

Over on the breastfeeding moms group, there is an FAQ post containing links to some of our most popular topics. One of them is how to increase supply. The link takes you to a list of every trick known to woman. Check it out.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• can someone else latch her while you're sleeping? blindfolded? it's so not a big deal, even if you were raped or beat- it's a baby it's not going to hurt you.
    Anonymous

• 2-3 ounces is awesome. According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day. Even though breastfed babies grow at the same average rate as formula fed babies, they consume 25% fewer calories because their metabolism works so much more efficiently. You need to rent a hospital grade pump like the Medela Symphony. A manual pump will NOT cut it! Make sure the pump fits and learn tips on maximizing output like http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Submit an on-line help form and get one on one help at http://www.llli.org/help_form

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I could never get much with a pump, but I could express a full bottle by hand. I would put a warm-hot washer on the breast and massage all around, I found looking at the baby helped to get the let down, and then hand express. If you place your fingers either side of the nipple back at the edge of the darker colour and gently squeeze and pull forward, I had much happier nipples doing it that way and I didn't get that puffed "cherry" feeling. Try it in a hot shower to get the hang of it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:20 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Thank all of you.. Except Ms. Rude Anon. I tried getting DD to latch but she wont. She's like, " Nuh uh, I dont want that thing, put it back in your bra!." So its evident I will have to express it in a bottle. I will definitely keep trying.
    Anonymous