My toddler had some beer and....

now he wants more. He bumped in to his dad at the BBQ and he spilled the beer on his face and he was licking himself until we managed to get his head under water. Now every time he sees a beer can, he says "more". He is 2 and a half and I am worried to no end. We have no alcoholics in our families.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he prob wants it bc he sees his father with it and wants too be like daddy
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 5:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• that is pretty normal. most kids that age like the taste of beer. my ex's bro had a beer on the table and his 4 yr old nephew drank the entire thing. then went to bed. lol
    Anonymous

• is this serious?
    stop worrying, it could have just as easily been koolaid. this means nothing.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• One of my three likes it- He picked one of his dad's up and took a big swig when he was about that age... Now, he knows he can not have it, but he sure thought it was awesome. I wouldn't worry about it, and it likely doesn't have much to do w/ daddy drinking it, most kids @ that age find it an interesting flavor. Don't freak out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• When we were younger my parents didnt drink in front of us. I didnt even knw they drank till i wa in middle school. I am making it a point to do that with my own kids. But bearsjen is right it doesn mean anything it oculd have been anything and if you had made a big deal about it they ar obviously goign to want it again because they cant have it.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• they ar obviously goign to want it again because they cant have it.

So what do you suggest? Let him take a few more sips?
    Anonymous

• lol no of course not. Just tell him no, like you would do with anything else he is not supposed to have. He will eventually forget about it and it wont be a big deal tohim anymore.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• and this is one of the reasons we do not keep alcohol in the house or drink it in front of our kids

laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• "and this is one of the reasons we do not keep alcohol in the house or drink it in front of our kids"

I will not punish myself just because I have kids
    Anonymous

• Its not punishing yourself, its deciding weather or not you want to have the problems and questions from your kids when it is in the house and and consumed in front of them. We keep beer in the house but dont drink it in front of them. Then have seen my FIL drink it and I have had to explain to my older son why he cant have any. Its just a choice you have to make for your family. Their is no right or wrong way to go about it, unless if the alcohol is being abused of course.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010