How many outfits do your kids have each season?

I'm curious after reading the answers from the "could you clothe your child for $200" question.
I know I have way more than I need, but I read someone on there saying 1 pair of shoes, 4 shorts, and 4 shirts. Seriously???
My kids have probably about 40 shirts and 20 shorts each. I love to buy kids clothes, it's kind of a hobby. I have about twice as much as I think I should have. I don't want to see my kids in the same thing everyday and I don't want it getting worn out. But on the other hand I don't want there to be things that are only worn once or twice. I know I'm extreme, but I'm curious what an average amount is.

mybella81

Asked by mybella81 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son has at least 100 outfits or pieces of clothing per size, (3-6m, 6-9m, etc.). We have a lot of friends and family that are constantly buying things for him. I do buy things for him myself as well, but there is really no need to. He's very loved, lol. :) I donate most of it when he outgrows it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• like a milliion...honestly i have no clue. Probably about the same a you though. It just seems like a million cuz i buy, grandmas buy...when i had my yardsale there were clothes in there that he had only wore once. I was like "aww, thats so cute..why did'nt he wear that more." I'm lucky to be able to provide for him and to have such a great family who loves him
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• 1 pair of play shoes (in the dirt kinda play), 1 everday shoe and 1 church shoe (so 3 total at a time, and/or throw in some sandals for summer)
    10-15 shirts, 5-7 pants/shorts, 2-3 dresses for church.
    It really depends on how much money you have. We don't have a lot as my husband is out of work.
    At the end of this winter I always buy the clearance and sale stuff in the size my kiddos will be at the same time next year. For example, if your child is going to be 12m next winter...then when all the winter stuff is going out of season and is on clearance/sale then buy it 12m for next year and save it til then. I've saved myself TONS of money by shopping like this.
    I also always donate the clothing that my kids grow out of.

sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• sandypops- that's what I do, and it's how I end up with so many clothes. When I see something I like on clearance I buy it for the next season. I usually shop deep clearance plus a coupon at Gymboree, but I also pick clearance things up at Target, and Kohl's as well, plus thrift stores and garage sales too. I store it all in bins and then when the season comes around, plus my older son still fits most of what he wore last year, and my younger son has stuff passed down from my older son. So, it really adds up! I save a lot of my kids outgrown clothes, but what I don't save I try to sell and make a little money from it before donating it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Meh... 15-20... I don't count.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My younger dd has alot cause I still had most of my stuff from my older dd. My older daughter has probably about the same as you cause I buy everything on sale and can never pass up something really cheap thats also really cute.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• He has WAY too much clothes... I can't help myself, there are too many cute things!
    Right now we are in the cross over between seasons and sizes... but he has about 8 pairs of pants right now (he had around 12 but just had a growth spurt) and he has probably 12 pairs of shorts so far... and I'd say about 40 shirts. And we have a bit of a shoe fetish... so he has 6 pairs of shoes right now.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• For my boys, they each have about 10-14 days worth of clothing - more for the younger 2 since they also have hand-me-downs. They usually only have 1-2 pair of shoes at a time. Now I have a little girl, and she has a lot more than that just because its so fun to shop for her! LOL. She has about 30-40 outfits or so, plus 3-5 pair of shoes that fit at a time.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• my DD has A TON of clothes because of all the hand me downs. my SD i think has 5 pairs of jeans here. SS has about the same since a lot of his ended up going to his mom's since she apparently can't provide her own kids with clothes working full time. SD does not have any shorts right now - only a couple capris and a couple skirts. She didn't have any that fit from last year and we are broke. So I am trying to hold out till I can find some at some sales or something. SS has plenty of shorts because he had a lot that fit from last year and he got some for his birthday. SD's b-day isnt till late July. Shirts....that supply got drastically cut when we sent a lot over to BMs (as i said, she is custodial, but asked us for money for clothes- we didnt have any so we sent 10 walmart bags stuffed full and she bitched about them). SS has plenty of shirts, but SD doesnt. She has enough to get by, but will need more summer shirts soon.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• by the way, neither SD, SS, or DD have 20 pairs of shorts! That is CRAZY to me. It might not be if we had more money. But right now, I would just be happy to have enough for them to wear for one week - maybe 1.5 weeks. My DD would probably come close to that in pants - maybe more actually, but again, she got A TON of hand me downs and then my mom and myself can't help but buy her things too.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2010