How to get through college life with a child

I'm 18 this year and a mother to an almost 4 year old. I am attending Penn State University in the fall. Could anyone share with me some of their techniques of balancing school and their child, or even just their story. Thanks :)

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a SAHM of 3 kids and preg with #4....I'm tired! lol I take mostly online classes so I can do them when I can....and all my studying/hw is done after the kids are in bed, besides the occasional check online to see what's going on with assignment and stuff a couple times a week.
    It's hard, but it will be worth it in the end. Your doing the best you can for your child....so just get through it and do your best!!!! Keep up the good work mama, and never forget this is for the best of you and your child! xoxoxox
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i couldnt do it. It was too hard for me trying to keep up with a baby, go to work, and school. I quit school because i needed the money more. I could handle school now since my son is 5 and he will be going to school...idk though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I'm not the person you asked for in this, because I did not have children until after college... But here's my perspective. A LOT of time is wasted in college on partying and social nonsense. (I mean, I don't feel like it was entirely *wasted* because I learned a lot from it). I did a lot of those things and still did well in school. This sounds bad, like I'm comparing the demands of a buzzing social life and parties to the demands of rearing a school-aged child. NOT the same, of course. But my point is that college does demand a lot academically, but no one is spending 12 hours a day on the work. You are lucky in a sense because you already have your priorities in order. And you know what is at stake, as opposed to many 18 year-olds who are still babies themselves. I think if you remember that you can only do what you can do, and you give it your best, you'll do great. Good luck to you and congrats on all counts.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Thank you guys so much. It helps a lot. :)
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I asked this question a few weeks or so ago and got a lot of good information and tips... http://www.cafemom.com/answers/400023/Do_you_mommies_think_you_could
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I posted it in another group too so... but it's the same thing just different answers... http://www.cafemom.com/answers/399143/Do_you_mommies_think_you_could
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 29, 2010