What's the second language Americans learn in elementary school and high school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• half way through elementry school they started doing french but it really was pointless because each year we were taught the same things because of the new students coming into the school. In middle school only the honors students took foreign language if i remember correctly and I was one of those and they only offered french. In high school it was either french or spanish unless you were apart of classical academy then you were offered latin. It was required in this state to take 2 years i think it is, of a foreign language. I honestly think Latin and German should be more attainable since it will help you in other subjects. Alot of words are derived from latin and german so why not offer it over other languages?
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 10:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Spanish....why?
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• By high school there's usually more than one choice of a language to take for your language requirements, and the kids get to choose.

At my school, for example, they offered: Spanish, French, German, Sign Language, and Japanese.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• We didn't learn any "second languages" in school... French and Spanish were available in HS, but very few took them and it wasn't encouraged.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• In junior high it's usually a choice between Spanish and French. By high school it depends on the area of the country you're in--choices are typically Spanish, French, German, and Japanese/Chinese.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• In our public schools, none@ elementary. The high schools offer French, German, Spanish, Latin, Italian, Japenese, and Chinese..
    My daughters went to private Pre-K and K and were able to learn French. Now, they are in public school and not learning anything at school.. However, we are all learning Japenese on our own as a family...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Elementary school.. none in the school I went to. In hight school It was mandatory to take a foreign language and we only had french and spanish but when i was in 8th grade out french teach moved to paris... ha... and we only had spanish. But we live in Texas so it is kind a good thing to learn spanish.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• None in elementary unless your in a private school or your parents pay for lessons.

I honestly don't recall a language being on our elective schedule in middle school; but I could be mistaken; and they could have changed that in the past 20 years.

At the High School I attended which was a regular public school; we had the choice between Latin; Spanish; German; French; and...crap there was something else but I can't remember now. I took Spanish; a friend that was considering the medical profession took Latin; and an exchange student from Amsterdam took German (cause it was the closest to Dutch and he figured he could ace it; lol)

In my HS 1 yr was mandatory; but they offered 4 yr classes in each language. And I'm fairly certain the public colleges here in FL require a minimum of 2 yrs; and the languages offered would depend on the college.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• At my high school we can choose from German, French, or Spanish. I chose German just for the simple fact that I like to be different and everyone I knew was taking Spanish or French.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Oh, and here in Pennsylvania, if you plan on going to college you have to take at least two years of a foreign language.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010