Is it common for boys to not resembled the father?

I have two boys and both are little clones of my dh. My friend has three boys but only 1 looks exactly like their father (all of the three children are from the same parents).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They don't have to look like their father, just like daughters don't have to look like their mother. My husband looks more like his mother than he does his father. His brother looks like his grandfather. Both my kids - boy and girl - look like my husband, except my dd has my grandmother's forehead and hairline.

Half of the mom's dna "fingerprint" mixes with half of the dad's dna "fingerprint" and that, combined, makes the child. Who the child looks like - if anyone - is going to be the result of whatever dna is donated by the dad and what is donated by the mom, and whose dna happens to have the dominant trait for that particular characteristic. (btw - each child is going to get a different dna "mix", btw - even with the same parents - even some twins. The only ones who don't are identical twins, coming from the same sperm and egg...)

It's a little more complex than that, but that's it in a nutshell.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My son looks exactly like me. Is there a scientific rule that says boys look like their dads and girls look like their moms? Nope. I don't think so.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• So you do not understand that kids can look like dad or mom or a different relative?

Answer by louise2 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It doesnt mater what sex the child is looking like a parent is determined by genetics, genger has nothin to do with it.
    Anonymous

• my daughter looks like her fathers side... mixed wit a lil me... and my son looks like my side with a lil of his dad
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have 2 boys... 1 looks just like me and 1 looks just like his dad... In june I will have another boy I want him to look like Both of us...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• My son looks just like his dad did when he was his age except he has really curly hair(which he got from me). But there is no rule that the boy has to look like his dad, lots of boys look like their mom or someone else in the family.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• my dd is the spitting image of me. and dh's niece looks nothing like his sister. i think they just dont have strong genetics.
    Anonymous

• Nope. If a boy doesn't look exactly life his father, he's for SURE the result of a cheating! just kidding.
    Anonymous

• My son is the spitting image of my brother.
    My daughter looks like a combination of my hubby and his mother.
    Anonymous