im 36 weeks pregnant. and i am anxious, excited, and SCARED out of my mind. This is my first baby so I really dont know what to expect accept for the gruesome stories others having been telling me about their personal experiences. what should i expect somebody tell me please...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• hugsMy experiences in childbirth were fine. No gruesome stories. Labor not long, not horrible. I was tired but all was well. You will do fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime, not just the labor and delivery part but a whole new way of looking at life. Enjoy your ride!

Answer by older at 8:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i thought birth was a great experience. don't let people fill you with fear.
    my labor was painful but nothing i couldn't handle and then i had my baby so... all good :)
    check out the library and see if there's anything like ina may's guide, birthing from within, any books that are positive about birth.
    Anonymous

• Only one piece of advice that you will need. During your contractions DO NOT CRY. No matter how much it hurts or how much you want to. Breath in your nose and out your mouth and stay calm. It'll be over before you know it!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I was induced both times and had an epidural, episiotomy, blah, blah. But really, I did and still do regard those births as pretty easy. I think anyone who gets the epidural is going to be okay. It's a big change but so fun and scary once you get your bundle. Congrats! Oh and if you poop on the table, just know it's common! I was terrified of that and pain. : )
    Anonymous

• expect cramps like period cramps. Eventually they get painful and you decide to go in, unless your water breaks first. Basically, you have to get through them until you're far enough along in labor that it won't stall with an epidural. When that happens, the anesthesiologist comes in, turns you on your side, sprays something cold on your back, you feel something going into your back and a cold sensation and pressure. Then a catheter (no big deal) is inserted. When it's time to push the nurse will tell you. You push the largest bowling ball out of you (TONS of pressure below) and then that's pretty much it unless you need need stitches. It's not too bad. Sounds worse than it is.
    Anonymous

• there was nothing gruesome about my births. i thought they were pretty easy, and very natural. i read the book birthing from within before my first birth and i found it very helpful and comforting :)
    just let your body do what it knows how to do, and you will do great!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• hornz, why not cry? If I was an ignorant mother-to-be, I think what you said would scare me. My contractions hurt, but I didn't feel like crying. The best thing you can do is read some books about the process of childbirth. I liked the book "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way". Even if your'e not planning a natural birth, just reading how it happens can help so much. I was never scared because I had an idea of what to expect, what my body would do, and why it would hurt. Birth is a painful, but beautiful experience and don't let anyone tell you it's gruesome.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I don't know why people feel the need to tell first-time-moms birthing horror stories (as if you're not nervous enough). Most labors really do go smoothly.

I'll say this - it is called "labor" for a reason; it's hard work. Whether you do natural or epidural, the pushing part is work.

My personal opinion is also that the whole 9 months of pregnancy is worse than delivery.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It is different for everyone. My DD is 8 months now but I was scared to death in the weeks before she was born! I only knew I was in labor because my water broke, I called labor and delivery and they told me to come in right away. I got there at 1am and was apparently contracting every 3 minutes but they weren't even strong enough to feel. I slept through the night and by 8am the contraction were 15 minutes apart so they started my on a small amount of pitocin. At 9am I felt my first contraction and it HURT, I couldn't even talk or cry!! I decided on the epidural at that point within 20 minutes was numb. Hubby and I watched a movie and I took another nap until about 1 pm. The Dr checked me at that point and said I was fully dilated and could begin to push. Being a new mom herself she wanted to go pump first so about 30 minutes later we were ready to go. I pushed 4 times and didn't feel anything more than a gentle pressure.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 11:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010