The Term Babymama

Why do women get offended by the term babymama?? What would you like to be called? You're not the man's SO, you're not his friend (if you are, I bow down to you and you should be called the term "friend"), I would hope you're not his enemy. The only relationship you have is a partnership in raising the kids. When it's all said and done you are really nobody to him except the mother of his child, hence "babymama".

Ronique1989

Asked by Ronique1989 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "babymama' is one of the trashiest terms out there
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Because people say it as a joke and really, being a childs mother is NOT a joke.
    Anonymous

• I find the term highly offensive because it automatically implies that you are a drama queen- especially being used in a derogatory manner.
    I am my Ex-husbands Ex-Wife. I am the mother of his children. I am NOT his friend, although he would like me to be, it would open the door back up for him to abuse me once more. I Have a NAME, I do not need another label. I am "Abby" which is enough for anyone.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• And the correct term, if you are going to use it, is baby's mama.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• baby mamma is a movie ...lol. that is all it is to me. noone has ever called me that. i never heard it in public either or by any one i know. i agree i think its trashy.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• THE MOTHER OF MY CHILD, OR MY CHILD'S MOTHER ....SOUNDS WAY BETTER !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I don't get offended, but I do think it sounds ridiculous, uneducated andf trashy. I am my child's mother.
    Anonymous

• Because it sounds uneducated and trashy!!! You are the mother or father of the baby, child, etc.
    Anonymous

• Ok thanks ladies. I've just been wondering, but either way you word it, it's the same meaning. However, because I am not a "babymama", I've never been able to see it through your eyes so thanks for your input.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Neebug3766 don't be a douche bag. It's called slang and there's more than one way to use it. Have a Coke and a smile and relax sweetheart.

To ObbyDobbie I never thought of it as derogatory and it certainly doesn't mean all babymama's are drama queens, however the media does give the term a bad rep, so I understand what you mean. Now I definitely see many angles. Also Kudos for getting out of an abusive relationship. It shows how strong and how great a mother you are.
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2010