The Term Babymama

Why do women get offended by the term babymama?? What would you like to be called? You're not the man's SO, you're not his friend (if you are, I bow down to you and you should be called the term "friend"), I would hope you're not his enemy. The only relationship you have is a partnership in raising the kids. When it's all said and done you are really nobody to him except the mother of his child, hence "babymama".

Ronique1989

Asked by Ronique1989 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think the ones that get offened the most are the ones that did have a relationship with him and don't anymore, they don't want to feel like that was all they ever had when at one time they had more. i woul just call them by their name or if you talking to somebody about them just say, the mother of his son or daughter, it just sounds more respectful
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I wouldnt have a prob bein called baby mama. were still together but if we seperate id definitely call him my babydaddy.
    Most people to view babymama with a negative conotation, probably because of baby-mama-DRAMA. But I know people that refer to the girl as their son's mother and etc....
    Anonymous

• I find the term highly offensive because it automatically implies that you are a drama queen- especially being used in a derogatory manner.
    I am my Ex-husbands Ex-Wife. I am the mother of his children. I am NOT his friend, although he would like me to be, it would open the door back up for him to abuse me once more. I Have a NAME, I do not need another label. I am "Abby" which is enough for anyone.

and to answer dkej~ I have more now than ever, because I am not with the SOB. It's not a matter of jealousy hon, it is a matter of respect. Anyone who would permit for this term to be applied to them, or use it in reference to their self, has zero self respect.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• the child's mother. Babymomma is an uneducated term and it makes whoever says it sound dumb. IMO
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Um, I am offended because it makes YOU sound like a dog or something. Most of the people you hear calling THEMSELVES this are the ones who probably don't know who the dad is. It sounds like Trailer Trash.
    Anonymous

• Ditto TheDiva...it sounds ghetto and young and stupid.
    Anonymous

• obbydobbie, i didn't say babys mothers where jelous
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It sounds so ridiculously uneducated and stupid. I would perfer to be called the child's mother.
    Anonymous

• "Baby Mamma" was originally a 'slang', if you will to establish what that person was to a man. If you're not with a guy who's fathered your kids and whether you're friends or not you're his Baby Mamma. You're simply a person who helped him reproduce. Period. That is offensive to most women, because most women are more then that. Regardless of their relationship with the child's father.

Now it has grown to be a broader term, but a lot of people haven't caught on to the new termenology behind it. Most still use it as a "Ghetto Slang" to a women who has a baby with a random guy. Or a guy she isn't currently dating or friends with. It can also be used in the terms of her being a little loose. Especially if she is the baby mamma to multiple guys.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• for me, it sounds ghetto.... but to each their own.. Id rather be called "Bree's mom", or something like that..
    When me & dh found out we where pregnant we where not married at the time & he was talking to someone & just happen to say "my uhh baby's momma".... I wanted to slap him (playfully) & told him thats not what i am! it was funny..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2010