hey what does BC and AD stand for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Birth Child and Adopted Daughter
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• AD could also mean adoptive Dad
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• BC is before Christ... AD is Anno Domini (In the year of our lord)
    Chaotic_Rayne

Answer by Chaotic_Rayne at 9:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• First thing that came to mind was when you refer to TIME PERIODS...

BC is the Abbreviation for 'Before Christ', used in the Gregorian Calendar to refer to the era before the birth of Jesus Christ.

AD is the Abbreviation for Anno Domini , Latin for 'The Year Of Our Lord ', used in the Gregorian Calendar to refer to the current era (essentially "after Christ")
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• considering this is in the religion catagory. BC= before Christ and AD= anno domini
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I was talking religion. I remember reading a question a few days ago and just now found the time to get back and ask.
    Anonymous

• do you mean on here, or in the sense of dates, such as it's 2010, AD?

If that's the case, then AD means Anno Domini, which is Latin for Year of our Lord. BC means Before Christ.

Whether you believe in Christ or not (for the record, I do), this is still what it stands for, because the current calendar system (365 days, a leap yr every 4 yrs, etc...) is the Gregorian one, which was put in place by Pope Gregory XIII (in 1582), and obviously, the Pope believed in Christ, and based the dateline off of His birth - using that as the "focal point" of "before" and "after".
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• lol - sorry, while I was typing my answer, others answered it as well. Sorry about the repetitive info there :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• They're archaic terms for time periods. Modern text books, official documents, etc use BCE and CE, before common era and common era, instead of BC and AD.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Now I'm curious since Anno Domini is latin, is there a latin variation of BC that is also used?
    Anonymous