If you have one piece of advice on relationships to give to your daughters when they grow up, what would it be?

I've thought about this question for a long time and the only good piece of advice I could give her that she could understand is..
"See how your daddy loves me? Thats how a man should love a woman.Don't ever settle for anything than that"

In reality..we are the best example that I could ever give to her.
I've had really bad past relationships.I've been married and divorced before to a horrible man...and I was thinking I could tell her to stay away from a man like that but she has no idea what kind of man that is. But she knows HER daddy and he is wonderful and we are blessed.For her, I would want nothing less than a man like mine...her father...to love her the way he loves me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Respect yourself ....that means don't do anything you think is wrong or agree to being someone you are not just to keep a guy interested.
    Respect yourself and find a man who will show you respect and love. (No meaningless sex)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• No matter if a man says he loves you-- do not sleep with him if you're not ready, and do not stay with him if he hits or abuses you.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I would say to trust your instincts. That the heart isn't always right, but your intuition and your gut is always right. If it seems wrong, or uncomfortable then to walk away. The other thing I would say is that you don't have to give up WHO you are to be in a relationship. If that's a requirement then it's time to walk away.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are is an option"
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• That means the only way she'll experience love is through having a man. That's not what I'd teach my dd. I taught mine to have confidence in themselves so they wouldn't have to depend on others for happiness. With high self esteem they were able to find men who love and appreciate them but they both know they could make it in life and be happy even without a man.
    Anonymous

• To have a man like her father and grandpa. They are the best two men in he life that I would want a man for er just as them two.
    Anonymous

• Oh! And the man who loves you will enhance who you already are, not change you. No man is ever worth your tears, and the one who is won't ever make you cry.

Too bad I have 2 boys! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• so she'll never be happy without marrying someone just like daddy? so now she will go out in life and not focus on her goal in life. she'll spend so much time looking for daddy in other men that she may miss opportunities that will get her where she wants to be in life. so yet again mom controls her. why not let her grow, live her own life and find her own fate?
    Anonymous

• So true Anon 849! Happiness comes from within!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• to get to know a man throughly before marrying him, don't be in a rush, wait till you finish college before marrying. marry someone equally yoked to you has the same religion, same interests, and wait to have sex until marriage.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Ladies...I asked you what advice YOU would give your daughter on relationships...NOT CRITISIZE MINE. But Thanks though.
    Anonymous