question for Christians: Did you ever leave your faith only to return?

Was there one reason? Was there one reason for you to return?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised christian, so when I was younger I felt I never had a chance to experience life. To make mistakes and be a true sinner--because when I was younger I felt that was what real life was.
    I have strayed before, but I always come back. God has my heart, he is who I trust with it.
    I feel alone and empty without him.
    Anonymous

• I did. I was raised Lutheran, went to Lutheran schools, etc. I reached a point in my teen years where I believe that if God existed how come my life had sucked so bad? (Long story short, was adopted out of foster care, state took me and my sis from a junkie of a mother). It wasn't until about a year and a half (almost 2) that I returned. I had a moment, while talking with someone, that brought me to my knees. Completely unexplainable. But I can say that at that moment, God's presence was all around me and any doubt I had that he existed was gone.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• You have an inspirational story, have you ever thought about writing a book?
    Anonymous

• Yes, I did. I questioned whether or not all of it was possible, or even existed. What really brought me back was when my son was i the NICU and they thought he has an infection that could have been serious. Without even thinking, I prayed harder than I have ever prayed in my life. I BEGGED God to let him be okay, and for him to be able to come home. That next day, so surprisingly, they released him. His temperature was normal, he was eating again , etc. He came home and has been healthy ever since. I felt God with me to a point where I KNEW in my heart that he existed. This has happened many times since. I've prayed for something, and it was answered. Not only that, but my entire life, even when I was questioning things, I never felt alone. Even when I tried to dismiss the possibility of a God, I felt something deep in me that knew He existed. I still don't know if I believe in one particular religion, con't...
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• con't...but I do know, that there is someone who has watched over me and been there my entire life. I don't know if there is one "right" religion, but I pray to God, and feel loved, and I'm at peace with my decision that while I may not be "religious", I'm spiritual. I'm also a good person (or at least make a strong effort to be) and I think that that is enough. Do I think that someone will be banished to Hell bc they were never exposed to or followed one of the thousands of religions that exist? No. I think God is more loving than that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I turned from what I thought was programming by my parents and the church. I had to find my own way and make the decision myself based on what I knew was right for me. I minored in Religious Studies in college and checked out as many as I could then I made my decision to return to Christianity but now I'm comfortable knowing it is my decision and not just something I was forced to believe from childhood.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Not me but my Husband in a round about sort of way :)

He had the typical teenage rebellion. But after we got married he didn't want to be Baptist because his parents were Baptist. We looked and searched. He prayed. And got his nose in the Bible.

Where did that lead us.......right back to Baptist :) And a church that is almost identical to the one he grew up in!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 11:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Left my faith as in my religion? Left, returned, left again. I was raised Catholic...walked away from it as a teenager, returned to it as a young adult and then walked away for good after my son was born. I never lost faith in GOD, only in his ministers. While I greatly appreciate the history, traditions and even the pageantry of the Catholic Church, I don't like its modus operandi in the modern age.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• TheDiva : AWESOME I LOVE stories like that!

My response to the OP question... yes and I did so due to being sick of hypocrisy in the church but God allowed me to have this season then He opened my eyes to what I was doing and that was I was focusing on people and how they were acting insteand of focusing on Him and looking through HIS eyes the beauty He sees in each heart. When I did that... my attitude and heart changed ! I cannot imagine life without Him...
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Yes. Was raised Christian. As a teen rebelled in more ways than one. Grew up, life happened, meddled around with other stuff. Got bored. Got jaded. Life caught up with me, drove me to my knees where God had been waiting for me the whole time. He changed my heart, my mind, my life and continues to all the time!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:06 PM on Apr. 29, 2010