Do you know about this? Puerto Rico Could Be Forced Into Statehood.

Puerto Ricans have already voted NO 3 times to statehood but the congress with it's drive for votes will offer a new vote, completely different from the one sentence question Puerto Ricans are used to. In the Obama speak fasion they have invented 3 questions that even the answerer wil not know how he is really voting.
Another point...... Why are they doing this now? there have been no requests from Puerto Rico for a vote?

http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/news/read/1068

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They want control. They want more votes, and they think that this is the way to get them. HR 2499 is a sneaky back-door approach to a 51st state that does not want to be a state. Call your senators, tell them to vote NO on this. It is worded in such a way that they don't even know what they would be voting for! Check out the party page -- http://www.puertoricousa.com/english/pnp.htm This has been in the works for a while now. They just had to wait for O and his lame cabinet, and for enough distractions that they think WE won't know WHAT they are doing.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Can we just trade? Hawii doesn't want to be a state.
    Anonymous

• 10:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Can we just trade? Hawii doesn't want to be a state.
    -----------------------------------------------

Huh? How do you know that? And why wouldn't either of them want to be a state? I can't imagine. How lucky would they be.....
    Being an American and being one of the United States is a GOOD thing,isn't it? I hope you are happy to be a resident of a United State. I am.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Puerto Rico is protected by the US. They GET from us, but they don't GIVE to us. They like things the way they are. They don't want to be a state because they already have all the benefits of being a state, but they don't have to pay those pesky taxes, and stuff like that. So, they are just fine with the status quo. Now, there are some progressives who think that if they change the wording on a bill, have it say Do you want to keep the status quo? instead of Do you want to be a state? will force them to choose to be a state in order to keep the protection of the US. They don't want to be independent or cut off. So they will end up being the 51st state. It is all a plan to get control and power.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Not for nothing - and I admit I don't know all the ins & outs I'm not a politician. But how is it right that they get almost all the same benefits and privileges as a US citizen or state without having to 'pay the piper' so to speak??

OK I just read 29again's answer and yes that's my understanding; except the 'power' part. Why shouldn't we expect their population to 'give' just like every other state has to for what it receives; if they are in fact as I believe receiving almost as much as any state??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• It's about time. Puerto Rico needs to either go independent or else become a state. They've gotten so many benefits from being a territory without ever having to pay into the system. It's time they go at it on their own, independently, or else become a full state with all the rights, as well as responsibilities of statehood.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Puerto Ricans ARE American citizens, and subject to Federal payroll taxes. They don't get to vote.

They get some privileges as states, but not ALL privileges. They also lack representation since they cannot vote for president.

Puerto Rico needs to decide what they want, not Congress.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Ok mancosmomma; so they do pay income taxes then? See I thought they paid like tariff's (gov't import/export fee things) to us or something but I didn't know they were paying into the tax system. If that is truly the case then; I don't see why it matters to the U.S. if they choose to be a state or not. If they are in fact (in essence) paying for the services we're providing; then I'm ok with that.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Here is the best explanation I have found of what they pay in taxes:

'Contrary to common misconception, residents of Puerto Rico pay U.S. federal taxes: import/export taxes, federal commodity taxes, social security taxes, etc. Most residents do not pay federal income tax but pay federal payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare), and Puerto Rico income taxes. But federal employees, or those who do business with the federal government, Puerto Rico-based corporations that intend to send funds to the U.S. and others also pay federal income taxes. Because the cutoff point for income taxation is lower than that of the U.S. IRS code, and because the per-capita income in Puerto Rico is much lower than the average per-capita income on the mainland, more Puerto Rico residents pay income taxes to the local taxation authority than if the IRS code were applied to the island.

con't.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Residents are eligible for Social Security benefits upon retirement. But Puerto Rico is excluded from Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and receives less than 15% of the Medicaid funding it would be allotted as a state, while Medicare providers receive only partial state-like reimbursements for services rendered to beneficiaries in Puerto Rico (even though the latter paid fully into the system).'

So they pay some taxes, not all. They get some benefits, not all. They aren't exactly like a state but they are not a separate country. What is ironic is that Puerto Ricans could become president, but can't vote.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010