How do you prepare quinoa?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I put it in a pot 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa. Bring it to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. Let it cook for about 15 minutes. It's quicker than rice. The hulls will be almost transparent when done, with a visible white ring around them. I've tried rinsing it first in a cheesecloth because I heard it has a somewhat bitter substance on the outside, but I didn't notice a difference. I've never tried red. I love quinoa! Hmm... I think I'll go make some right now!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• What kind of quinoa, flakes or pearls? Red or white?
    Anonymous

• Red and multigrain or 5grain, can't remember what the other one is.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Follow the directions on the package!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• It depends on what you are using it for. Sometime, I make it in the rice cooker and serve it with steamed vegetable and just a bit of butter and parmesan.

Quinoa plays a starring role in my favorite summer breakfast: Breakfast Quinoa

NOTE: Quinoa must be rinsed extremely well or it will be bitter

Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 1 cup of water and one cup of apple juice. Chill. Dice 2 small or 1 large apple small dice and add, add raisins and/or dried cranberries and walnuts or pecans- I just add them until it looks like enough, maybe 1/2 cup of each? Stir in vanilla yogurt to coat and make it bind together about 1- 1 1/2 cups. Serve cold

and I use it in stuffed peppers.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• STUFFED PEPPERS
    (The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
    4 large red or green peppers
    1 T olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t basil
    ½ tsp oregano
    2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
    1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
    2 T tamari
    Cayenne to taste
    1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
    1 small can tomato paste
    Thinly sliced cheese (optional)
    Wash the peppers and cut them in half length wise. Remove the seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a rack above boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get soft. DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano. Sauté until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans. Mix well; then add the tamari and the cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking dish. Fill each pepper with the bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the tomato paste. If the tomatoes are whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired. Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

• I use quinoa as a replacement for rice in almost any dish. It is especially tasty in stuffed cabbage. Just follow the package directions to cook it first, then add it to your recipes.
    Anonymous