What do you do when unemployment runs out and you don't have a job ?

My hubby lost his job back in Aug. 09 and we had NO choice to get on FS, WIC, Medicaid and unemployement . We both ( I was a SAHM) have been looking for jobs ANY jobs hubby since Aug. and then me for 4 months and we can't find ANYTHING not even freakin temp jobs !! It's sad I fill out applications to places that are not even hiring because I feel if I don't I am just abusing the system . I live in Indiana one of the highest if not the highest unemployement rates in the US . Relocating is NOT an option so its just the whole apply apply apply wait wait wait game . I have been racking my head on what to do if we can't find jobs before our unemployement runs out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Hey,,nobody is responding cause nohody knows what to say in this situation you are facing. I am a letter carrier, for 26 yrs, I have never in my career seen so many unemployment checks, or deal with people who come to me,,and need to unload. They are in the same situation you are in, and it breaks my heart. I have watched people loose their homes,,after they have lived there for years. I have watched single people who live in an apt complex I deliver too,,loose their job and go through all their savings to just make the rent one more month. I have watched families move back in with their parents. You will survive this, you may have to move back in with a parent, and you might have to get on food stamps, but you will make it,,,,you are not alone,,and Im so sorry you are going through this right now,,,,Im sending prayers to your family tonight,,,hang tough hon,,,you have got too,,,
    Anonymous

• ya hang in their like anon said were having it tough too,infact we got our power shut off today and we had to ask our church to please please turn us back on,we have to pay back the amount of course,but thank goodness for the church. Were alwaya late on our mortgage and other bills and were down to one car to go to work in and its got a nasty squealing noise that annoys all my neighbors. And were barely putting food on the table. I just pray that our load will lighten some and things will make a small turn for the better.Hang in their,and remember their are many prayers going out to those in need,and your not alone.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Well i will tell you my hubby has been laid-off since 11/09 and the 11 weeks end and then another extension goes into action for another 11 weeks be prepared but really the jobs out there are far and few so i don't think you have much to worry about and. The system is in place for people like you. If you really want a job go to your local grocery store they are always hiring and it's job security (everyone needs food).

Anonymous

• I don't get it Guys. I see TONS of jobs available out there. Go online to the job sites and check it out. You might have to commute to find a good job, but they are out there.
    Anonymous

• My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you're in this situation.

First, you are not completely without help. You have some benefits, and with food stamps, you'll be able to eat. Remember that panicking is not going to get you anywhere, and instead, will set you back.

What should you do? If the tact that you're taking isn't working, try something different. You're applying and waiting? How about following up with employers and asking if their employment situation has changed. Are you sending thank you notes to those that do consider you? I know-- an additional cost-- but it's just another way to remind employers you are interested.

Look for jobs in unconventional places. I knew a guy who was literally homeless. He walked into a fireplace store, told them he would work, and that he would do anything. They took him at his word and gave him a job. You never know.

Build a network-get others to help!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• you can't just apply at places that you would like to work at. You literally have to go in and out of every business on each street until someone calls you. I went to every shopping center that was within a reasonable distance (so any money I made wouldn't all be used in my gas tank) and applied at every single place. Not even kidding. Even places I knew I wouldn't want to work at but would be better than not having a job at all. I took a whole day and walked the entire center. Then the next day I went to another shopping center. Same thing the next day. I can't remember how long I was doing this and I was running out of places to go and to my surprise, one called me back. I've been working there since Nov. last year!
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• You take whatever you can get. And if there is nothing TO get where you are, then you HAVE to relocate. There's no such thing as "not an option" when you get to that point, because you WILL be relocated to the street or a homeless shelter.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Well after my Dh got laid off at his job of over 5 years and I had been a SAHM also for most of that time. We are going back to school for nursing (both of us) that, in our area is in demand. Yes right now he is still getting unemployment but i figured I didnt want to wait until it ran out to start getting and education so we could get a job. Also even if your not getting unemployment all you have to do is sign up for school and yo can get grants and the like. Also even if you have to "borrow" student loan money to get your education you can always pay that back when you do have a job. Another thing to consider is that if you are going to school like we are you have the option to file an extension on the unemployment "school extension" you will have to talk to ur local unemployment office for the details. GL and wish you well.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 3:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• lmao how is relocating not an option? ummm, you would think being homeless wouldn't be an option, therefore you RELOCATE. Get over it, you're gonna have to do it unless you want to be broke ass losers who live off PA forever. Come on, you can do better!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Send me a message offlist; I do career and job search coaching, and will be happy to help you and your husband with resumes, job search strategy, etc.

There are lots of tips and resouces posted in the Job Hunting Moms Group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Have you taken any of the training classes offered by the unemployment office?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Apr. 29, 2010