how to get my todler off the bottle

kpfau2004

Asked by kpfau2004 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What I did with my son was just take all the bottles and put them in the trash and if he was thirsty he took his sippy

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I threw out most of my son's bottles and had him throw out a couple of them. He didn't want to let them go but that was Sunday and he has stopped crying for a bottle already.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• i agree with hinson. if you don't want him on the bottle anymore just throw them all away so he can't go running to look for one when he doesn't want to drink from the sippy. if anything you can try buying a sippy that sorts of mimmicks a bottle and start gradually changing it into a regular cup. but that's the expensive way :-D
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 11:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I just got her to start drinking out of a sippy and with in a week I had all bottles in the trash and she was all about the cup.
    Anonymous

• best advice i ever gave... throw the bottles away. easy at that. when he/she is thirsty they will take whatever is handed to them.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• when mine would absolutely not give up the morning bottle without a melt down i put 2oz in the bottle with a full sippy next to it and gradually went down to nothing in the bottle she was fine with it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• I just started giving him sippy cups. I started out slowly and just gave him one during the day. Only did that for a few days, because I wasn't sure how he'd react. He liked them, so I just put the bottles away. Had another baby on the way, so I couldn't throw them out. When my daughter is ready for a sippy cup though, the bottles get packed up for when my sisters have kids.

If your child refuses the sippy knowing there's a bottle, then have him watch you throw them out (or give them away). Then let him know there's only sippies left and that's all he'll get. When he gets thirsty enough he'll give in and take the sippy.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2010

• i started by just having one bottle before bed. then after a week of that. GONE! it worked out fine!
    lildqsmama

Answer by lildqsmama at 2:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010