Would this be a bad thing to do?

my baby has insurance through the state (medicaid) He is having a lot of health issues and the dr said absolutly NO daycare. I am having a hard time finding someone to watch him so I can go back to work and would actually prefer to stay home with him until he is doing 100% better. Would it be a terrible thing to try to get food stamp help so I can stay off work longer??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you are using the system to stay home just because you want to, that's what a lot of people have a problem with. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing what you have to in order to take care of a sick child.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• Of course go down to the food stamp office first thing tomorrow morning that is why we have this system in place for familys like yours if the doctor saids no childcare then have him put that in writing if need be and get to the welfare office first thing. I will be more then happy to help you stay home with your child until his health is back in order. GL to you and your child.
    Anonymous

• If you cannot work due to the babies health, get a letter from the doctor and go to Children and families. If you meet the crietera they will not make you work, and you may be eligible for cash assistance as well. My son had heart defects at birth and we had to practice strict infection control procedures at the house. Day Cares cannot provide this, and for the health of your child apply for food stamps, and take care of him.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:15 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have aproblem with people having food stamps and staying at home, BUT if you are staying home because its best for your son who can't be put into daycare that is a whole other story. Do it.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have foodstamps, and I stay home with my dd. I'm on disability, and don't plan on going back to work until she is eligible for pre-k at 4 years old.

There's nothing wrong with you getting foodstamp assistance. You don't have to dump your kid in daycare for 8 hours a day to satisfy a bunch of stranger on cafemom. Do what is right for YOU and YOUR CHILD.
    Anonymous

• lol i agree with anon, you know your situation and you also know that it is temporary help and you need it, so to hell with the nay-sayers
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• I have known families that have used food stamps and cash assistance to not work because they are lazy. They even have more kids to get more. (I know this because they said as much) You are no where near that. You are wanting to take care of your sick child. That is perfectly acceptable to me. Right now we're on food stamps because I can't find a job. If you need it, you need it.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 29, 2010

• Nope. It's there. Might as well take advantage of it. That's MY opinion. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2010