Fear of my toddler embarrassing me is keeping me from flying to see my family! Help??

My 22 month old has entered the "no" phase, and is getting to be a little bratty. She's is pretty, and everyone loves her, but as her mother, I know her VERY well!! lol

I'm afraid to take her on a plane to see my family, because I'm afraid she won't want to sit still for the 7 hour journey. I can't even get her to sit still on a ten minute bus ride, let alone 7 hours!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? My family hasn't seen her at all, and they keep asking when they are going to get to see her. It's easier for me to go to them, instead of them coming here, because there are so many of them.

Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are many children in the NO phase that fly. Children misbehave in stores, resturants, you name it, they do it. Get a flight at night so she goes to sleep. Get a flight during the day, get some new toys never seen before, and put it in a backpack. New toy every 1/2 hour to keep the child occupied. A 22 month old should not dictate your life. Get on the plane mama with your child. It is only 7 hours of your life, and you can handle that!!!! Bon Voyage!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 11:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• lol,,,I took a 2 month old on a 3000 mile flight across the country,,,,,actually a 2 month old is alot easier then a two yr old. Just bite the bullet and go. Bring her favorite games,,bring her teddy, bring books, bring ear plugs for you,,lol,,if you havent booked the flight yet,,take a red eye,,,,she will probably sleep through the whole thing since its an overnight flight. Then just hand her over to her grandparents as soon as you get there,,:)
    Anonymous

• Some kids can surprise you. My son was active at 14 months and wouldn't sit still for anything but he was great when my sister took him on a plane. I agree with what seekerofshells said.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2010

• anon 8:22 here again,,call ahead of time and find out what you can take on the plane and what you cant take on the plane. I heard recently that apple juice was removed from a toddlers hand during check-in. That could be a receipe for disaster before you even get on the plane....
    Anonymous

• I took a 1 year old "no" kid on a plane cross country. A couple of layovers, he fell asleep every time on the plane when we had to switch. Bring snacks, laptops, anything to keep the kiddo busy. You'll be alright.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 29, 2010